Can unhulled spelt be fed to chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hope119, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Hope119

Hope119 Songster

Apr 23, 2009
    I have not seen unhulled (unhusked) spelt, but found a local farmer who grows it. It becomes expensive after the farmer pays for de-husking so I wonder if it can be fed to chickens "as is", without processing. Did any of you try or know anything about it?
    Thanks!

2. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    What is spelt? I know, you were just waiting for that question weren't you. snicker [​IMG]

3. Hope119

Hope119 Songster

Apr 23, 2009
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelt

And
    a quote from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon:
    ...spelt, an ancient grain of the wheat family praised by the medieval sage St. Hildegard as being particularly suited to the sick and those of a weak constitution. It contains gluten and gives excellent results for sourdough bread. Some studies indicate that spelt gluten breaks down easily during fermentation, making it more digestible than modern varieties of wheat.​

4. Organics North

Organics North Songster

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Hi,
    Here is some info, I am thinking yes to your question..

II. Uses:

Ground spelt is used primarily as an alternative feed grain to oats and barley. Its nutritional value is close to that of oats. The protein content of the Champ variety of spelt is about 11.7%, compared to 12% to 13% for oats. The spelt hull has nearly as much feeding value as the kernel.

Spelt can also be used as a food grain after removal of the hulls. It is popular in Europe, particularly in Germany. American food manufacturers in this country have begun to use spelt to meet the nation's increasing demand for pasta and high fiber cereals. Spelt can also be used in flour and baked goods to replace soft red winter wheat.

Here is the source:
    http://corn.agronomy.wisc.edu/Crops/Spelt.aspx

Be well.
    ON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by