Can used grains from beer brewing be fed to flock?

Would it make them staggeringly happy?
tongue.png

YES! We do this often! My dh makes home-brew using barley grains -- after these have been boiled they are called spent-grains and are perfectly edible for people, dogs and chickens. I used to make the spent-grains into dog treats but it was a little time consuming -- Now I just dump them for the chickens -- they LOVE them!!! But be careful that you are just using the grains and not the hops -- hops can be toxic to animals.

Yes, my DH is a homebrewer. The grains can be fed to the birds. However, don't give them any hops - just give them what was in the grain bag. I bake bread with spent grain. Spent grain can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

If you boil grains there are usually hops in the boil too, right? Mylimited brewing knowledge says that the hops are also added inthe boil, unless you dry hop, are certain recipes grain only?

OK! thanks. I am now remembering the "sock-like" grain bag that is in the boil. So they can have that when it cools. thanks!

The reading I have done says that hops are great for chickens...
http://www.grit.com/Daily-Commute/Keep-Your-Chickens-Healthy-with-Hops.aspx

Quote:
According to a recent ARS report, adding the bitter acid lupulone(hops) to the chickens’ drinking water appears to be a viable alternative to lo-level antibiotic doping of their feed. In one study, lupulone therapy was specifically associated with controlling Clostridium populations in the chickens’ intestinal tracts.

And when extract brewing the hops stay in the pot (unless you grow your own like some do)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom