Can vent sexing be applied to ALL birds?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
I was at a bird expo and I needed a female cockatiel and the breeder examined the vent and said this cockatiel is female. Is vent sexing only limited to baby chickens, or do all birds have similar and distinguishable vents that can be sexed easily?

I was at a bird expo and I needed a female cockatiel and the breeder examined the vent and said this cockatiel is female. Is vent sexing only limited to baby chickens, or do all birds have similar and distinguishable vents that can be sexed easily?
The animal rescue I work at uses vent sexing but I’ve never watched. I can ask how they do it or what the difference is !

Vent sexing will not work exactly the same on different kinds of birds, because they do not all have the same anatomy. For example, male ducks and geese have a penis that can be found when vent sexing. Male chickens do not have that.

I know that a chicken's vent can indicate whether it is laying eggs or not. That might be applicable across many species of birds. Any bird that IS laying would be an adult female. But for any bird that is not laying, you would still not know what gender it was, if you were only looking to see if it laid eggs.

Back
Top Bottom