Can we eat these eggs?

picklestheduck

Obsessed with Animals🦆🐓🐥🐴🐱🐶
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2021
Michigan
Hey all at least a few weeks ago my duck was on antibiotics due to bumblefoot, (she still has severe bumblefoot but the oral antibiotics weren't working) I'm treating her with topicals now but that's not what the post was for. She is a faithful layer and has laid pretty much every day throughout this bumblefoot battle. We haven't been eating them....I'm not sure if like the infection can somehow get in the eggs? idk....she's been ill looking and such. She is doing better now though. I'm just wondering if we can eat her eggs now? We have over a dozen collected...it pains me to through out her beautiful eggs. Any ideas?

To check on the egg withdrawal period, you need the name of the antibiotic, the dose, and how it was given. A bird can get a systemic infection from bumblefoot, so maybe post this in the disease/injury section (because the answer requires knowledge of antibiotics and egg withdrawal) and prompt a few of the known experts (use the @ in front of their name, like to get my attention you'd type @springvalley123 in the post.

at least a few weeks ago my duck was on antibiotics due to bumblefoot
....I'm not sure if like the infection can somehow get in the eggs?

The infection should not be a problem, especially if you cook the eggs.
As @springvalley123 said, the antibiotics might be an issue, but you would have to check on that particular antibiotic.

We have over a dozen collected...it pains me to through out her beautiful eggs. Any ideas?
You could cook the eggs and feed them to her (but spread them out-- don't give her the whole dozen at once!) Since she was the one taking the antibiotic, you already know it's safe for her.

Back
Top Bottom