Can we get a list together of chicken breeds that can be crossed to produce sex linked or auto sexin

Hello this is my first post I know the thread is a bit old... Ok so our copper maran roo "Johnson" was attacked by a bear defending his hens and obviously lost but the girls managed to all escape. Johnson was taken away by Mr Buzz Kill Bear. We collected all the eggs for the following week and hatched them at a friends in her incubator. Results 3 black chicks white tipped wings and the rest yellow/red. They are about 24hrs old. Is it possible the three blacks are roos and the remainder hens?

I have a Barnvelder rooster who crossed with lite sussex hens produced gold colours chicks who were female and yellow chicks who became White roosters. The crossed hens have been fabulous layers. I understand this cross won't work in reverse ie the rooster being a lite sussex as the sex link is a silver gene in the female. Can provide photos if wanted.

If anyone is interested, the white chicks are the offspring of a Rhode Island Red rooster and a Rhode Island White hen. The females are white with some red coloring and there is one male (standing on the block) that is all white. They are 10 weeks old.

Silly me, the picture under my name 23 Sandreef are the chicks to which I referred. So some photos of the Barnvelder Big Red and his White Sussex hens. Offspring we have Apricot, who was apricot in colour, a tall hen compared to mother Lite Sussex bantam. Then we have chick who had Lite Sussex bantam short legs, dad's brown colours with the black Sussex neck feathers. Apricot and Chick (the light brown hens) lay all year, both shedding a few feathers at a time through the year. In the photo of the little chicks the apricot colored chicks were female, the yellow chicks were roosters. Chookyroo, the white rooster offspring was a yellow chick. He is a beautiful tall bird with the build of his father. He has a lot of Lite Sussex markings but also laced Barnvelder feathers under his tail which is blue green. This little character started out laying eggs but is definitely a rooster. Time will tell if he is fertile. He may of course just have been sitting on somebody's else's eggs. He is over enthusiastic and Big Red Barnvelder Rooster would like to kill him. So, he has five

Austrolorpes, two with barred feathers to look after. just waiting for a broody to see what might be produced.Hopefully they will self sex too. So enjoy the photos.
Big Red Barnvelder with his Lite Sussex bantams, parents of Apricot, Chick and Chooky Roo.

I am the mighty Chooky Roo.

Apricot chicks femaile, white male. Offspring of Big Red Barnvelder and Lite Sussex bantams.

Chooky Roos laced feathers inherited from Big Red rooster.

Chooky Roo ten months old on his favorite crowing spot the compost bin.

Big Red Roo with Lite Sussex bantam hens and Apricot. Called so because of her colour as a chick.She is much bigger than her 'mother'

Chick on the left and Apricot on the right. Chick has more distinct Sussex neck markings and has shorter legs than Apricot. She also has laced Barnvelder tail feathers.

The recommended article in this thread is great reading and explains the Lite Sussex female silver gene with the Barnvelder gene cross.

Regards to you all from Tasmania Australia.

I had a silkie rooster breed a buff orpington hen and I hatched it out. He is white with black dots and has like regular feathers that look more slick or 'silky' than regular feathers! He's very pretty
1f60d.png

A white silkie rooster over any silver en ie light sussex , white leghorn, silver duckwing wellsummer will produce white male chicks and brown hen chicks. This is because the silkie is melanistic , it has white feathers but actually carries the gold gene

Back
Top Bottom