Can we get rabies from an attacked chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lastchickenstanding, Dec 12, 2009.

1. lastchickenstanding

lastchickenstanding Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Our chicken was attacked a couple of nights ago (around 6pm). We assume it was a raccoon although we've seen (and caught) both skunks and fox in the fenced area. Whatever attacked the hen, walked up the ramp and pulled her out of the coop by her head. We retrieved the hen, cleaned her up as best we could and are feeding her by hand in the house.

I never would have thought of rabies, but a friend had to get rabies shots after being licked by a puppy that had rabies. Whatever attacked the hen probably left its saliva all over her head/neck where it mauled her and we would have touched the saliva when we first caught her, examined her and then cleaned her up. We were not wearing gloves.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this topic? Has anyone ever heard of getting rabies by touching a chicken with saliva on it?
    Thanks,
    LCS

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I don't think so but I'm not medical expert. [​IMG]

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I would not think so but you can always call the 800 number for the PoisonCenter and ask.... Hope the hen is OK

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Do you have any cuts on your hands? If so, then i would be a little worried...
    But to be honest.. the risk would be very small... IMO
    *no medical expert here either..*

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Exposure to saliva from an infected animal can indeed put you at risk for developing the disease. You need to see a doctor and explain your exposure. I know a few people on this forum who had to undergo treatment last summer for exposure to saliva from raccoon or skunk attacks.

6. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    well for starters chicken's can't get rabies nor can they carry it. if it's already been a few days and no one is getting symptoms then i wouldn't worry. symptoms like being excessively thirsty, having trouble swallowing.

but having seen first hand what rabies does to animals and how easily it is spread you are clearly within your right to be concerned. in fact it even scares me just reading about it. just to be safe i would go get checked. i'm told that once you start showing symptoms it's almost certainly too late.

rabies shots are NO FUN AT ALL!. you have yo get sooooo many [​IMG] thank goodness they don't give you the HUGE needles in the stomach anymore. my cuz and i had to get them after a dog attack, and HE had to get them a year later for another dog bite. the shots are miserable if you're not fond of needles.

i hope the best for you and your family [​IMG]

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I think it is highly unlikely. But this link says it is possible. Testing for rabies is just a simple blood test. See a doctor get it checked if you are worried. It will be worth the piece of mind.

http://rabies.emedtv.com/rabies/rabies-transmission.html

Imp- been there done that- didn't hurt a bit

8. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:this post helps you a LOT more than mine did lol. i agree.

9. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:Actually the test for rabies isn't a simple blood test...

10. lastchickenstanding

lastchickenstanding Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Thank you.
    Looks like we'll head to the doc first thing Monday. We both have cuts all over our hands and weren't wearing gloves... ARG!
    LCS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by