Can we play, Hen or Roo?

Samjo

Chirping
Jun 23, 2022
Covington, Georgia
I'm pretty new to chickens. Bought two hens from a very nice gentleman, who told me that he only had hens, no roosters in his flock. I'm beginning to doubt that fact.

I bought them back in the middle of June, and was told they were 10-12 weeks old at that time. The other one, when I got them, had hardly no comb at all, but this one had about 1/4-3/8 inch of comb. You can see how much the comb and wattles have grown on this one, while the other bird's comb is still pretty short.

This one also is larger, than it's "sister", and has larger legs.

Yesterday, this one started trying to crow. Not real loud, but a definite crow none the less. Now, I know it's possible for a hen to crow, but the fact that this one has grown so much bigger, and the comb and wattles are so distinct, makes me think I have a roo on my hands.

I don't really want a rooster, and I really don't have room for more than two in my coop/run. Should I be hunting a home for this one, or could it possibly still be a female? I told my wife, that if I see it trying to mount the other one, then it's got to go, but I don't want to get rid of it, if its really a hen!

If they were 10-12 weeks on June 15th, then that makes them 19-20 weeks old now. Neither have laid as of yet.

What do you veterans think?

thumbnail_IMG_1847.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1849.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1851.jpg

I'm pretty new to chickens. Bought two hens from a very nice gentleman, who told me that he only had hens, no roosters in his flock. I'm beginning to doubt that fact.

I bought them back in the middle of June, and was told they were 10-12 weeks old at that time. The other one, when I got them, had hardly no comb at all, but this one had about 1/4-3/8 inch of comb. You can see how much the comb and wattles have grown on this one, while the other bird's comb is still pretty short.

This one also is larger, than it's "sister", and has larger legs.

Yesterday, this one started trying to crow. Not real loud, but a definite crow none the less. Now, I know it's possible for a hen to crow, but the fact that this one has grown so much bigger, and the comb and wattles are so distinct, makes me think I have a roo on my hands.

I don't really want a rooster, and I really don't have room for more than two in my coop/run. Should I be hunting a home for this one, or could it possibly still be a female? I told my wife, that if I see it trying to mount the other one, then it's got to go, but I don't want to get rid of it, if its really a hen!

If they were 10-12 weeks on June 15th, then that makes them 19-20 weeks old now. Neither have laid as of yet.

What do you veterans think?

View attachment 3228751View attachment 3228752View attachment 3228753
It's a boy!

Care to expound on your statement?

I don’t quite see what makes me a terrible person because I only have room for two, and want them both to be hens.

I thought finding him a home where someone has more room, who actually wants a rooster would be the right thing to do.

What would be your suggestion of the proper way to handle the situation?

What a terrible person
Care to expound on your statement?

I don’t quite see what makes me a terrible person because I only have room for two, and want them both to be hens.

I thought finding him a home where someone has more room, who actually wants a rooster would be the right thing to do.

What would be your suggestion of the proper way to handle the situation?
I’m pretty sure this person was talking about the guy who sold these chickens to you. Right, @LizGio ?

Back
Top Bottom