Can we start a new list: Treating Duck Emergencies-Must Have Supplies

DuckDuckGuinea

University of North Quackalina
10 Years
Aug 23, 2009
NC
My duck emergencies tend to always happen on nights, weekends, and holidays.
Could we please start a list of items to keep on hand:
For example a recent thread indicated the use of super glue for a broken beak.
If this is already posted, please excuse me and just point me in the right direction.
Many Thanks!

I like this...anyone?

I am thinking Baytril or other antibiotic...boo-boos and sniffles never have good timing...

I am also thinking a *tiny* screwdriver and tiny pair of scissors, for those of us who will help out with hatching...this allows tiny pieces of shell to be removed.

Triple antibiotic ointment

Cordless Dremmel tool for doing nails...okay, maybe not for emergencies as much, but necessary.

Styptic powder, flour, or cornstarch for stopping bleeding! I like the styptic powder myself, goes back to wildlife rehabillitator days.

Q-tips for applying said powder, or moistening membranes on eggs when that lockdown is no longer locked down.

Pen-g (infections such as bumblefoot)
DMSO (to mix with pen-g for topical application in bumblefoot)
Vet Wrap (for wrapping over gauze for bumblefoot)
Gauze
Brewers Yeast (excellent for extra niacin to add to chick starter for ducklings)
BeneBac (post-antibiotic treatment to aid beneficial microbes in digestive system)
Wormer (I rotate wazine, safeguard, and albazon <sp> to prevent resistance)
Dog Nail Clippers (clipping nails if they don't wear evenly)
Needles and Syringes (for Pen-g)

Yup, this would be a great list - a stickie, even. I am in the process of collecting my duckie first-aid supplies.

I have triple antibiotic and some bandaging (for cleaning and dabbing), apple cider vinegar, vitamin / electrolyte mix. superglue. tweezers, serious nail clippers. I made a bowl for giving liquids to one duckling - just the hole-in-the-butter-tub setup, but it is nice - I can hold her in my lap and get her to drink without everybody else butting in.

I want to have some internal antibiotics, perhaps some of that plastic grid that is used for craft projects - it looks like good splint material to me. Also want something to stop bleeding. Actually, this week, I could have used some of that myself - stuck and sliced myself this week more than I have in a long time! Sorry for the whine . . . back to ducks . . .

What to use for choking? Soft rubber tubing? How about a syringe?

By the way, I am SO not looking forward to needing this stuff . . . .
hmm.png

But one can almost count on trouble during nights and weekends. . . .

Better get the laundry in and do some shopping.

What else?

This is a great Idea.. am getting ducks for the first time and have been writing things down Ive
been reading... this makes it even easier,
Question tho.. when u talk about vitamins and electrolyes...?? is there a Name or is it just
called electrolyes...?? and someone mentioned one time it should be RAW apple cider vinegar???
or does it matter ???

Hattiegun,

I cannot recall the brand name, I think there are several, vitamins and electrolytes powders. I used some the other night when my smallest chocolate runner appeared really puny (I am a southerner, that means sickly, in case we are from different cultures
wink.png
)

Anyway, I made up a batch, held her for a while, gave her some v & e in a little bowl, which she kindly consumed. Next morning, she was looking good again. Hallelujah!

Do a web search on "poultry vitamins electrolytes" and you should come up with a number of choices. I bought the brand carried by the hatchery I bought the ducks from.

I use a brand of apple cider vinegar that has the mother in it. Mother is the microbes that make vinegar. Pasteurized vinegar won't have the microbes in it, and possibly won't have all the good enzymes and proteins and I-don't-know-what-all that makes it a good tonic. This is what I have been told.

Yogurt is another thing that may be useful from time to time because it has probiotics in it (gut microbes).

All these things boost the immune system, from what I understand.

Silvadene Creme
Sterile Saline
Vet Flex Cohesive Bandage 2"
Carprofen 25mg (Rx pain med) - how do we get this without prescription-Give 1/4 tab
SMZ-TMP (Septra DS) - 480mg 1/4 tab - prescription as well
Flagyl- prescription
2" cast padding

Vitamin I use in emergency situations with chick failing to thrive or in sick bird= infant vitamin Polyvisol without Iron
Vitamins I use weekly= red cell or, on white birds, a chick/poultry vitamin/electrolyte

Also, two more things I forgot....

Betadine- essential to clean wounds, use in soaks for injuries/abcesses
Epsom Salts- use in soaks for infections

I'm also liking how well oxine is working at keeping 'cloudiness' indicating a bacterial bloom from my waterfowl ponds. I still clean them daily, but now, while they may get muddy, they don't look putrid.

Back
Top Bottom