Can wry tail be fixed?

SpeckledPullet

Songster
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Northeast Florida
My 7 week olds went out this past weekend into their own coop. All is well, but my prettiest roo has what looks to be a broken tail bone? His tail is now crooked and when I feel along his bottom/back, I feel some bone or bones sticking out differently by his tail base. I assume he broke his tail bone somehow and now his tail is very crooked. This has been going on for 3 days now. Can this be fixed or is he just going to look crippled for life? What could have caused this? There are 3 other roos in the pen, but they were all raised together and seem to get along. Could one of them have done this? No other issues have happened since going outside ... I am just disheartened that the pretty boy is injured now.

Updated: I now assume he has wry tail. As ve pointed out, this is genetic.

However, I started adding vitamins today, as Pampered suggested, and hope it will help. Does anyone have any success tories with wry tail being fixed?

Last edited:
Does his tail lean to one side or the other? Could be Wry Tail which in most cases is a vitamin deficiency. If caught early enough can generally be corrected with vitamin supplements. If not taken care of it will become permanent. We have a rescued hen that has Wry Tail and she is a great layer and also loves to go broody. It doesn't effect her daily life other than her butt is crooked.

Thanks everyone.

Ve - he wasn't born this way. This has only been for the past 3 days.

Pampered - what vitamins do you suggest and where can I get them? I am new to raising chicks. He is a beautiful bird besides this, so I would like to fix him.

Thanks

I started adding vitamins to their water today. I am using Durvet. I won't use it for too long, but figured they could all use some since they were just switched to an outside coop. Does anyone have any success stories of wry tail being fixed? I hate for such a pretty roo to have this issue for the rest of his life.

Any other suggestions on what I can do for him? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom