Can you brood day old chicks outside with Propane / Gas Brooder.

johnscalido

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
I was just interested if anyone has used this method before. Is it possible to brood day old cornish crosses outside.

I don't know what your set up is, and i don't know about the propane, but i do use an outdoor brooder for my dual purpose (i don't raise cornish x), and i LOVE it. As long as you can keep them warm and draft free, there's no reason not to that i can see.

60021_60021_images.jpg
[/img]. This is my setup. You said that you use the outdoor method and you love it but you do not know about cornish crosses. May I ask, what setup do you have. Can you send me a pic.

Quote:
I agree but I'll just add predator-proof to this. Several small predators that don't bother grown chickens are attracted to and can kill small chicks so you need to be a little more careful in how you house them. I also brood mine outside the house, but they are in a hardware cloth brooder in the coop, not out in a separate outdoor brooder. Make sure rain will not get them wet.

Good luck!

Here is my brooder. It's nothing fancy, but it's very practical and helpful. It's just a large shipping crate my husband got from work. He cut some holes for windows and door and put it up on stilts, so that it's at an accessible level for me. We made covers to go over the windows if it's too cold, etc., but those stay off for most of the year, here in Texas.

S6305407.JPG

S6305409.JPG

S6305410.JPG

I'm pretty liberal - in comparison to a lot of people here on BYC - as far as how soon to put chicks outside or out of the brooder, but i would not put day-olds in the set-up you have in that picture. I think it's unlikely that you could keep them warm enough at night, especially if there's any wind. They really need something with walls, in my opinion.

I agree with Ridgerunner about predator proofing too. My brooder is wonderfully predator proof. If it weren't, i wouldn't be able to put my chicks out there and still sleep at night.

Quote:
I agree but I'll just add predator-proof to this. Several small predators that don't bother grown chickens are attracted to and can kill small chicks so you need to be a little more careful in how you house them. I also brood mine outside the house, but they are in a hardware cloth brooder in the coop, not out in a separate outdoor brooder. Make sure rain will not get them wet.

Good luck!

I am just interested in what you said about the rain. I must admit that rain does tend to get through occasionally. I am using PVC electrical conduit for the skeleton. I am using wire mesh for the elevation / sides. I am using PVC canvas for the roof. What other material can I use for the roof that will be strong enough to keep out the rain but light enough for my electrical conduit.

60021_60021_images.jpg

Last edited:
I have not built anything like that so I will not comment on possible coverings. I don't have the experience to intelligently comment.

However, getting them wet can chill them and kill them. It is especially dangerous if they are not yet fully feathered out and are covered in down.

Back
Top Bottom