Can you build an adjoining chicken and duck coop?

shainamom

Hatching
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Hello,
I've been a long time lurker and finally got the birds so now I can post LOL. 8 chicks and 6 ducks, all 2 weeks old, came to live with us on Mother's Day. Now getting ready to build the coop. I know they each need their own coops, mostly because ducks are very messy. Instead of building 2 coops can I build 1 big one with a divider? Will they know to go to the right house at night or will they get mixed up and I will have ducks in with my chickens and vice versa? They will be free range for the most part, don't know if that makes a difference or not. Thanks!

Sorry I can't help you w/your question (I would love to have ducks, however), but I just wanted to say...
welcome-byc.gif

I was posting on this board waaaaay before I ever received my chickens
lol.png

hey. i have a coop right now with my silkies and pekin ducks together. same house same everything and i have no complaints. ducks aren't really terribly messy anyway but just may need the little more effort to clean thats all. i love having them all together. it is much easier.

i also have my ducks and chickens all together. i can tell that the ducks do mess it up faster than if i just had chickens. but the more time they can spend outside the easier it is on the coop. mine all get along fine.

My ducks are guests in the chicken coop right now. They will not be staying. They empty out the waterer in no time flat and cause stinky wet bedding. I free range everyone all day long. I will probably build a duck yard and keep them seperate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning on housing my 2 ducks with my 5 chickens. When the ducks are old enough to move in how ever I Will be moving the water out side so they will not make a mess inside the coop.

I keep mine together. They free range in the day now & are not to bad to mess up the coop. Before when they were in all day it made a very big mess. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for all the replies. We live in upstate NY so I really don't want to be cleaning out the coop every day in the middle of winter. I was thinking of trying the deep litter method with the chickens...not sure if I can do the same with the ducks. Anyone?

If there were only 2 ducks I would put them all together but since there are 6 I think the mess would a lot more. Maybe I will go ahead and try them all together and see.

I am curious about this as well. Thinking about getting a couple ducks to go with my chickens but not sure if it will work. Does DLM work with duckies?

Back
Top Bottom