Can you clip ringneck pheasants wings so they can't fly?

Tony your point should be well taken and nothing RUDE about it. Why would anyone ever want to cut the flight feathers of a wild bird just so they can amuse themselves watching it walk around in their yard and eventually become dinner for some predator. I can only compare that to someones legs getting amputated.

Guys/gals, he/she was talking about clipping the wing feathers as to not need flight netting over the top of the pen, not to free-range them. Yes you can, but I wouldn't trust a four foot high fence, I would want at least 5'. You could use electric wire around the outside to keep out ground predators, but you'd have to worry about hawks and the such, should be a big problem.

Whoever mentioned about tact, I agree. However, straight forward, clear, and yes, even blunt is how I like it too, it does away with most misunderstandings and further questions, but still with tact. Not that what you said was rude, Tony. Just I can see how it came across that way.

Guys/gals, he/she was talking about clipping the wing feathers as to not need flight netting over the top of the pen, not to free-range them. Yes you can, but I wouldn't trust a four foot high fence, I would want at least 5'. You could use electric wire around the outside to keep out ground predators, but you'd have to worry about hawks and the such, should be a big problem.

Whoever mentioned about tact, I agree. However, straight forward, clear, and yes, even blunt is how I like it too, it does away with most misunderstandings and further questions, but still with tact. Not that what you said was rude, Tony. Just I can see how it came across that way.

most fox can clear a 5' fence this little short fence will not even slow a yote down I trap a fair number of them each year exclusion helps almost as much as dispatching said preds to take a birds only defense against a predator
barnie.gif

If someone wants to call me rude I am ok with that as long as I get my point across.Most of the time you haveto be rude to get people to listen and I guess I am doing ok.
In N.H.,Tony.

I mentioned electric wire, non-electrified hardly provides protection. Plus, we should protect the birds from predators, not rely on their natural defenses. If a fox gets in, wings are not going to save the bird, it's just going to keep flying into the enclosure and eventually get caught. We protect the birds, not their wings.

I mentioned electric wire, non-electrified hardly provides protection. Plus, we should protect the birds from predators, not rely on their natural defenses. If a fox gets in, wings are not going to save the bird, it's just going to keep flying into the enclosure and eventually get caught. We protect the birds, not their wings.
Interesting. Your response makes me think about birds in the wild now. Birds in the wild are not trapped in a cage in any way, they have their full wings and their legs, but they still get taken out by predators.

Yes, but what do you mean by that? It's natures way of keeping balance, the old, young, sick, injured, those that made bad decisions, they all get taken by predators or just die. The legs and wings are aids, but not 'fool proof'.

Yes, I know. I was just making a generalization using wild birds as an example that legs and wings are not, as you said, full proof against predators.

Yes,but in the wild they do not have wire to keep them in a closed in area.At least they have a better chance in the wild to get away.If you've come acroos any ringnecks in the wild,you can get pretty close to them before they will fly.This is why they get caught by predators,they think they are fast enough to get away,not knowing the speed of their predator.The purpose of wire not only keeps your birds in,but it also protects them from anything getting in to their pen.So you need good strong wire on the sides,top,and an apron around the perimeter of their pen.I wouldn't even want a sparrow to get into my pens.
In N.H.,Tony.

I'm planning on having chickens in the backyard. Do pheasants have a sense of "home"? Will they just fly away if I don't pen them in?

Back
Top Bottom