Clipping flight feathers on a goose.

JRies

Crowing
Jun 7, 2019
Colorado
Its breading season and one of my geese evidently can fly. Lips is a little escape artist going under fences But have her penned where she cant go under. So I guess she is taking flight. Do I clip one wing or 2 for best results. She is a white split and cant be with the purebred geese. She has to be kept in the white pen.

Its breading season and one of my geese evidently can fly. Lips is a little escape artist going under fences But have her penned where she cant go under. So I guess she is taking flight. Do I clip one wing or 2 for best results. She is a white split and cant be with the purebred geese. She has to be kept in the white pen.
I think you should clip a little off both sides or shell be lopsided and it’ll be sad to see when she tries

At this point I have rounded her up and just cut the flight feathers on one side. Been sitting on the pouch watching her. But its when I turn my back she is gone again. The fence is 4 foot.

even my chubby pilgrims can clear a 4 foot (seen it) and even a 5 foot fence, but I have 6 foot chain link, so far so good. I guess you gotta clip some more?

Last edited:
even my chubby pilgrims can clear a 4 foot (seen it) and even a 5 foot fence, but I have 6 foot chain link
So far the one wing is working, She is a sweet goose but there have been 7 round up the geese and separate her today. This is her now plotting her next move. She is the one in the back looking for any break in the fence. Sad think is if I dont fix this she will have to spend breeding season in the ducks covered pen and them in a goose stall

Attachments

• plotting.jpg
    plotting.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 12
So far the one wing is working, She is a sweet goose but there have been 7 round up the geese and separate her today. This is her now plotting her next move. She is the one in the back looking for any break in the fence. Sad think is if I dont fix this she will have to spend breeding season in the ducks covered pen and them in a goose stall
I wonder why she wants to get to the other side so badly, what is over there she's so interested in?

I absolutely recommend clipping one wing only.
Clip both, and they learn to flap harder and still get where they want to be.
I can usually keep my turkeys in between clipping one wing, and making sure they have food, water, and a dry, clean spot to be- even if their run is a bit muddy (we live in the PNW so mud is unavoidable if you don’t have the budget to cover all runs :/ ). We have 5’ fences, and, while some will get on the fence on occasion (esp if I’m behind in clipping wings), they don’t tend to go over and leave.

I have also culled birds that won’t stay in....
They teach the others to leave, and, if they go outside the runs, a predator will get them eventually - unless you can/ want to cover the runs w a roof or w netting.

I’ve finally come to the conclusion for the ones that consistently escape.... I’d rather send them to freezer camp than have them taken by predation and thereby increase my predation pressure....

I have some runs that are covered, but also have some groups that can’t be combined - and trees in some runs prevent me from really being able to cover them all (along w winter budgetary restrictions....)

I wonder why she wants to get to the other side so badly, what is over there she's so interested in?
Its breeding season and she has a boy all picked out, as always what she wants she will get, She is a sweetly on of my nicest to work with but definitely has hussy going for her.

I absolutely recommend clipping one wing only.
Clip both, and they learn to flap harder and still get where they want to be.
I can usually keep my turkeys in between clipping one wing, and making sure they have food, water, and a dry, clean spot to be- even if their run is a bit muddy (we live in the PNW so mud is unavoidable if you don’t have the budget to cover all runs :/ ). We have 5’ fences, and, while some will get on the fence on occasion (esp if I’m behind in clipping wings), they don’t tend to go over and leave.

I have also culled birds that won’t stay in....
They teach the others to leave, and, if they go outside the runs, a predator will get them eventually - unless you can/ want to cover the runs w a roof or w netting.

I’ve finally come to the conclusion for the ones that consistently escape.... I’d rather send them to freezer camp than have them taken by predation and thereby increase my predation pressure....

I have some runs that are covered, but also have some groups that can’t be combined - and trees in some runs prevent me from really being able to cover them all (along w winter budgetary restrictions....)
I love turkey's Thank you the first birds to ever visit my farm were about 20 from the neighbor 1/2 mile up the road. They helped the builders all day. If anyone can get out and fly over they got this. Im good with freezer camp to keep our heritage breeders going they also have to serve a purpose. Thank you so far one wing is working but then again tomorrow is another day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom