Can you create and/or patent a new chicken breed? How????

I don't think chicken breeds are something that is patented. Because say you do that, then someone buys 50 birds from you. If the breed were patented, they could not legally reproduce those birds. Sadly, many seeds are done this way.

But developing a breed is not necessarily difficult. Creating a breed that is marketable is difficult.

For instance, You could breed big fibromelanistic meatbirds pretty easily. Cornish crosses, silkies, and something with dark legs that will get big (Java, Black Giant, etc) would have you there, getting consistency within three or four years.
I currently have a breed "in the works" as I figure many people also do.

I imagine there are a lot more breeds out there that just never became popular.
Hi there is there any chance you could direct to resources so we could create our own breed? I am starting to work on my own breed but do not have any reading material as a reference guide to consult, it’s purely based on my experience of chicken breading. Help would be hugely appreciated, many thanks

The real question is: Why would you want too?

With the many breeds of chickens already available, many of which are on the brink of extinction, why would you want to just add one more to the pot?

Further, you made the following statement, 'Anyhow, I was reading a book on chicken breeds the other day and noticed that several breeds are actually a cross of two or more breeds.' This would seem to indicate that you have fairly new to breeding chickens.

Breeding chickens is not throwing a male and female together for copulation. That is multiplying. There is a big difference. To become a recognized breeder takes years to accomplish.
What a great comment by a true breeder! I miss seeing doc's comments as i gleaned so much knowledge from them in the past.

Back
Top Bottom