can you cross an EE roo with any breed of hen and still get a chicken.

You mean to tell me that you are not an expert, I learn tons of information from your posts
big_smile.png
On the other hand.....I got my Barred Rock roo from someone who needed to find him a home so maybe he wasn't all BR. Who knows. They are pretty eggs though. It is possible that my definition of blue is different than that of another, will try to post pic later of egg color after I get one and you can tell me what you think.
smile.png
Sadly, I do not have that roo anymore...he was a good boy.
Now some of my extra Marans roos are in with those gals.....maybe with this crossing I can get some eggs that are more on the green tinted side....what do you think?

Sorry not do not mean to jack this thread.....I just know that the possibilities of what you get from EE's crossed with any birds are pretty much limitless. (don't know if that is even a word) but that is what makes it fun.

Last edited:
No, I never claimed to be an expert on genetics, that's for sure! The gene designations confuse me. I just know the parts I need to know for my Barred Rocks and Ameraucanas and leave the rest alone so as not to experience braincell overload, LOL.

As for color, it is very subjective (Im convinced that man and women see color differently), plus digital cameras and lighting and computer monitors can change up what your eye sees. I purposefully had gray paint mixed up for my house with NO blue in it. I wanted a true gray, not a blue-gray and I watched him mix the paint, too. That was quite convenient when I ended up with Ameraucanas and EEs, so bring the egg up the stairs, hold it against the house and see if it read blue or green.

Quote:
Well you definately know more than I, thank you! I appreciate everyone on this forum more than they know.
Great idea with your house paint. I would have never thought of that.

I completely understand about genetics and the braincell overload....with me it's....gain a fact, loose a fact!
gig.gif

Quote:
both my pea comb girls lay light brown eggs:-(

Do you know what the parents were? I was told that if you cross and EE or Ameracauna with another pea-combed variety, you can "cancel out" the blue egg gene that is closely linked to the comb.

I have an beardless green-legged EE that hatched from a green egg- but have yet to see any eggs.

Nope clueless-a women was selling them cheap as EE's -so I picked 2 of them up-I was hoping for one that laid realy pink eggs-nope light brown:-( They were not fully grown yet and looked like EE's at the time but now not so much Ill see if I have any photos-

ok here you go-I took this photo this am-the hen at the bottom of picture and the one at the top-they look the same black and goldish
25181_cimg2723.jpg

what do you think it is? she has a pea comb???

Last edited:
Pea comb does not mean EE. Nor does feather colour or leg colour or presence of beards/muff. All of these traits occur in many breeds.

Many breeds have a pea comb and do not lay blue eggs. Trying to explain what can happen without using genetic terms and symbols can get complicated and difficult to follow--the use of specific terminology and symbols is intended to aid communication. In the world of trying to figure out genetic outcomes, it would be far simpler if everything was pure for every gene. Unfortunately it rarely works that way, especially for a mix such as an EE.

There is a close link between the blue eggshell gene and the pea comb gene, but if, as was said earlier, you cross a blue eggshell bird with another pea combed breed, from the blue eggshell parent they will receive one copy of pea comb and blue eggshell (assuming that the bird has two copies of each--if not, half their offspring will receive the alternate variations which include not-blue-eggshell and whatever pea comb variation is linked to it--Geneticallly, these would be P/O P/o+ where P/O indicates pea combed, blue eggshell and P/o+ indicates pea combed, not-blue eggshell.).

From the non-blue egg parent with a pea comb they will receive a copy of pea comb and not-blue eggshell: P/o+.

Treating these as one gene and that crossover has not occurred (since they are closely linked--there is a 3% chance that the genes will be inherited separately, however), here are the punnet squares:

Homozygous (for eggshell and peacomb) parents: all offspring have one copy of blue eggshell and one copy of not-blue eggshell.

P/O P/O
P/o+ P/O P/o+ P/O P/o+
P/o+ P/O P/o+ P/O P/o+

Heterozygous (for eggshell) EE parent: half the offspring have one copy of blue eggshell and one copy of not-blue eggshell; the other half will not have a copy of blue eggshell--they will be pure for not-blue eggshell.

P/O P/o+
P/o+ P/O P/o+ P/o+ P/o+
P/o+ P/O P/o+ P/o+ P/o+

Homozygous for peacomb (all parents), heterozygous for eggshell EE parent: half the offspring have one copy of peacomb & blue eggshell and one copy of pea comb & not-blue eggshell; the other half have two copies of pea comb & not-blue eggshell.

P/O P/o+
P/o+ P/O p+/o+ P/o+ P/o+
P/o+ P/O p+/o+ P/o+ P/o+

Heterozygous (for peacomb & eggshell) EE parent: a quarter of the offspring will be pure for peacomb and not for blue eggshell, another quarter will be pure for not pea comb and not-blue eggshell and half will have one copy of pea comb and blue eggshell and one copy of not-pea comb and not-blue eggshell.

P/O p+/o+
P/o+ P/O P/o+ p+/o+ P/o+
p+/o+ P/O p+/o+ p+/o+ p+/o+

Not-pea comb is single comb, and is indicated with italics; birds that lay (or carry the trait) eggs with blue eggshells are indicated in blue text. The above assumes that no crossover occurs, which infinitely complicates things
wink.png

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
and
yuckyuck.gif

I don't know that it is a gender difference, but I definitely think there are different perceptions between different people--and that is without throwing in cameras, monitors and other voodoo.
lol.png

We crossed our EE roo with a Black Austrolorp and a Barred Rock. The BRX is smooth faced with a lovely speckled pattern-a truly pretty bird who lays blue eggs. The AussieX is lustrous black with muffs and beard and lays green eggs.

Back
Top Bottom