Can you cross breed a Guinea?

wornoutmomto3

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 6, 2014
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Ok, before you answer let me explain. My Guinea hen's mate died late last summer and she has been on her own. Since, they are very social creatures she joined my mixed chicken coop. It has gone quite well and she seems to be thriving. Fast forward to Spring and she calls constantly for a mate. Well, I caught the chicken rooster "getting the job done." I, personally, don't plan to incubate the eggs. But, Guinea are notorious for hiding nests. Is it possible that the eggs could be fertile?

Ok, before you answer let me explain. My Guinea hen's mate died late last summer and she has been on her own. Since, they are very social creatures she joined my mixed chicken coop. It has gone quite well and she seems to be thriving. Fast forward to Spring and she calls constantly for a mate. Well, I caught the chicken rooster "getting the job done." I, personally, don't plan to incubate the eggs. But, Guinea are notorious for hiding nests. Is it possible that the eggs could be fertile?
Guineas can breed with chickens. It is far more likely to happen with a guinea hen and a chicken rooster than the other way around. The offspring are said to be infertile and do not tend to live long lives. There are people who intentionally cage a guinea hen and a chicken rooster together just to make this cross.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/very-unusual-chick-guinea-chicken-hybrid.834929/

in many ways, the nature itself only understand. a male guineafowl may seem quite uninterested to a chicken hen,in which the nature of a guinea fowl is quite different when it comes to mating with of a chicken. male guineafowl only waits for a guineahen to submit her self to him by lowering onto the ground for him to take over, so in chicken it is an opposite, rooster chase hen and take over.

yes, a cross breed from a guinea and chicken is well known. but these cross breed usually happen in flocks where both birds have grew up together. and the hybreed is infertile.

Back
Top Bottom