Can you cross Buff Orpington with Easter Egger?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cnjtnt, Dec 15, 2009.

1. cnjtnt

cnjtnt Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Federal Way, WA
    We have a young pair of EEs that we think may have one turn out to be a rooster. If that does happen, can an EE mate with and produce an offpsring with Buff Orpingtons? That is what most of our current hens are. Or is it more likely that he (assuming it is a he, of course) would favor the other EE?

Here is the thread referenced, along with photos:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=275641

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    No... I don't think different breeds of chickens can inter-breed. [​IMG]

On a serious note: EE offspring are some of the cutest and make for wild colors. There is also the chance the daughters would lay green eggs.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  3. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, if you do have an EE roo he will mate with anything that even remotely resembles a chicken. My EE roo has given me some very nice crosses with Austrolorps, Buff Orps, Wyandottes, Andulusians and Rhode Islands.

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:[​IMG] Don't confuse newbies! Yes, they can interbreed. I bet they'll be pretty!

5. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    My delaware roo has bred (and we've hatched) crosses with Buff orps, black rocks, blue rocks. So i would say yes, that they could mate and cross, but I have no idea what they would look like

6. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    My rooster would mate with my cat if my cat would sit still for long enough. [​IMG]
    He will mate with either one and your EE hen will have 'pure' EE chicks and the BO hen will have EE/BO hybrids. I have the same issue....my roo is an EE and his girls are a mixed bag of hatchery BRs, BOs, EEs, australorps, SLWs. Everyone's chicks would be EE crosses except for the chicks from the EE hens. I'll just shove some blue eggs under the nearest broody BO and have a new batch of EEs running around....or get some eggs from my neighbor's BO hens since she has a BO rooster. Otherwise, it's mutts for me. Or another order to McMurray.

7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] Don't confuse newbies!

But it's fun! [​IMG]

8. cnjtnt

cnjtnt Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Federal Way, WA
    Quote:[​IMG] Don't confuse newbies!

But it's fun! [​IMG]

C'mon now. I'm not naive, but it is a legitimate question. There could be some kind of genetic thing that makes the chicks die....like in Araucanas I think. Thanks all for the reply. I guess we'll see if it is a rooster and if we're the mood in a couple years for home hatched eggs (and we have an Oprington go broody).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by