can you dust dog with DE

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nccountrygirl, Aug 29, 2007.

1. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I finally got my DE in today. Can I dust the dog and cat for fleas with it?

2. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Absolutely! As long as it's food grade. Put some in the palm of your hand and act as though you are petting it.

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    countrygirl it is food grade. We ordered it from Custom Milling in Ga. Boy is 50LBs a BIG bag. I am splitting it with a girl I work with though so I won't have so much on hand. Thanks for the help

4. goldntoller

goldntoller Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2007
    Absolutely. I did 9 dogs back in the spring. As a result I did myself as well...my hair felt awful. It has to be food grade. The best way to apply it is to use one of those powdered sugar tins that have little holes in the top.

Donna

5. RJ_Hythloday

RJ_Hythloday Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2008
    Zion
    My dog didn't mind, the cat didn't like it the first time. Second time I just picked her up and did it more casual as I was petting her. The stuff that fell of I even laid her down in it and petted her some more. Now I just need some dry days so I can put it out in the yard. Pulled out the fridge and stove and swept and put down a thick layer, that ant problem should be gone in no time!

6. kawonu

kawonu Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    Western North Carolina
    We use it on the dogs, ducks, geese, chickens, and the goats.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I use it on my pigs, too. Works very well.[​IMG]

8. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Some young kittens were dumped off at our house and they were crawling with fleas, but too young to use flea medication that is made for cats. I dusted them with DE and it helped a lot. They looked like they had ripped open a bag of flour for a while, but it does seem to have helped with the fleas and didn't seem to harm the kittens.

9. gd4sumthnmom

gd4sumthnmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    I just dusted our kittens today. Also fed them some to help with worms. I always wear a mask when I use it tho...

10. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I would not use Diatomaceous Earth (DE) on my dogs or cat for several reasons: (1) my dogs come indoors sometimes & I wouldn't want SiO2 (quartz, Moh's hardness = 7) scratching my hardwood floors; (2) just as it would be harmful for me to breathe it (and I would wear a mask), so it would be harmful to my dogs' lungs; (3) IMHO, it is very minimally effective against fleas & no more so than the dog taking a good dust bath and (4) the stuff is costly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by