1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you eat a chicken that dies or do they have to go through processi

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by moodusnewchick, Apr 22, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Can you eat a chicken that dies or do they have to go through processing to be safe to eat? thanks

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I wouldn't eat it because you don't know what it died from, unless it died from your axe, I would not put it in my mouth.

3. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    It's not safe to eat any animal that dies from disease or unknown causes.

4. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

To eat they need to be bled out, & like chcknrs said you don't know what it died from.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    It is probably best to eat only a bird you processed or had processed. Sure, if there were nothing else to eat and you happened across a dead bird, why not? (LOL. To many survival shows off Discovery Channel [​IMG] )

You do not want to eat any sick animals. Sometimes commercial producers "push" sick animals through, but they are not suppose to. Sick animals are not on the menu. Even commercial plants for beef and such, do not eat cows that die on their own(even if it is just minutes away from being killed).

You do not want to eat a chicken that has been killed by a predator. You do not know if the predators was healthy or carrying something that could pass onto you. Yes, cooking can kill bacteria and whatnot, but do you really want to risk eating a chicken killed by a fox or coon or anything else?

A bird that dies of old age, probably isn't going to be very good to eat. LOL. Most birds are considered tough after their first year of life, can you imagine how tough they would be after dying on their own?

If the chicken is dead because of some kind of impact(getting hit by car, stomped by horse, etc) then I could see it being safe to eat. I would not eat it, if you don't know exactly how long it had been dead.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't gamble it. There may be exceptions. Like my friend had some really flighty birds, so flighty that when she entered the coop one day(she's old and doesn't move quick either) that two cockerels flew into a roost and killed themselves. I would have eaten the cockerels had they been a decent size. I would NOT eat a bird that I just found laying in the coop dead.

Just my thoughts on the matter. When it comes to ingesting things, it is better safe than sorry.

-Kim

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  6. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    nope, I wouldn't eat one that just dies. No you don't have to take it to a processor to be safe-- you can process them yourself. There are lots of directions on here.

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I would not eat it and no processor is legally allowed to process an animal that has died of natural causes.

If the animal dies of an infectious disease there is nothing in processing that would prevent it from being spread through the meat.

8. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    thank you all so much!

9. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    if a chicken dies.i disspose of them.i sure dont eat them.because you really dont know what killed them.

10. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    We have never eaten any that have died from natural causes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by