can you eat eggs that froze

I've read that the main concern with frozen eggs is micro-cracks. Cracks too small for us to see but big enough to allow bacteria through. If it were me, I'd probably keep the clean ones and toss any with dirt or poo. But (then again) it only freezes 1-2 days a year here, so when would I have to do that?

As long as they aren't cracked open, they're fine to eat but the texture may be changed a bit. I wouldn't use them if they have frozen so they've opened up--too much of a chance of contamination--and would make sure I cooked them well. Many people will crack and freeze extra eggs--cracking them into an ice tray is one way--and use them for scrambled eggs and baking.

I did note a slightly more watery texture of the white but my few frozen ones were delicious! If you don't want to eat them or give them away, cook them and give 'em back to the birds! I'm sure they will love the stuff and it certainly is good for them.

howdy gang,
We have had a few eggs freeze. If they are cracked and dirty they get thrown out. Not worth the risk to try to eat them.
take care
Jack

I never refrigerate my eggs.
With just 5 hens laying, surplus is not a problem.
If I get to a dozen & haven't used them I give them away.

I have gathered eggs that felt frozen, shells were intact.
I just let these come to room temp & cook as usual.

The only thing I noticed is a slight difference in the yolk's texture - whites seemed normal.

I don't think I've had a frozen egg yet. Maybe. I put them in the fridge and we use them within a few days, so if any were frozen, they would have defrosted by the time we use them. If I had any frozen and cracked open I'd cook them really well and feed them back to the chickens.

Quote:
Why do you keep them on the counter for several days prior to refrigeration? I'm new to raising chickens and my girls are just now starting to lay. I've read where other people do this as well. What does this do/why do you do it?

Thanks! I really am curious!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom