Can you feed ducks fodder?

Schmied forge

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2016
Pretty self explanatory, but if you can... when can you start? Can you start when they are ducklings? Thanks!

deedles

Songster
12 Years
Apr 5, 2007
What do you sprout for the duck fodder? I sprouted some wheat but it got a little too long, do you think that if I cut it down it's safe to feed? I heard about longer fodder causing sour crop in chickens.

But I would like to know what you are sprouting.

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
As long as ducklings are getting a tiny bit of chick sized grit at least a few days before they get something like fodder, they should be okay with it - and as long as it's just a small percentage of their food intake.

I did not think about fodder when mine were little - I do pretty much what dan26552 does - pretty much sprout it.

If you chop up the fodder into tiny bits it ought to be okay - I used to chop up lettuce and greens very finely and put it in cool water for a treat for the ducklings - they loved it! It was like cold lettuce and dandelion soup

Here is my fodder setup.

Schmied forge

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2016
I do know ducks can generally eat more then chickens, but I couldn't tell you anything else...

Schmied forge

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2016
How would I make my own duckling feed they can eat? I don't like feeding them processed food... or would I just need a adult duck to raise them?

BuckDucks

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2017
Pender Island, BC
As long as ducklings are getting a tiny bit of chick sized grit at least a few days before they get something like fodder, they should be okay with it - and as long as it's just a small percentage of their food intake.

I did not think about fodder when mine were little - I do pretty much what dan26552 does - pretty much sprout it.

If you chop up the fodder into tiny bits it ought to be okay - I used to chop up lettuce and greens very finely and put it in cool water for a treat for the ducklings - they loved it! It was like cold lettuce and dandelion soup

Here is my fodder setup.

Top Bottom