Can you feed ducks fodder?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Schmied forge, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Schmied forge

Schmied forge Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    Pretty self explanatory, but if you can... when can you start? Can you start when they are ducklings? Thanks!

2. dan26552

dan26552 True BYC Addict

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    We feed our ducks fodder. We started pretty early on as ducklings, about 1 and a half weeks old I think. Our fodder for the ducks is shorter than regular fodder, closer to sprouts.

3. deedles

deedles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    What do you sprout for the duck fodder? I sprouted some wheat but it got a little too long, do you think that if I cut it down it's safe to feed? I heard about longer fodder causing sour crop in chickens.

But I would like to know what you are sprouting.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    As long as ducklings are getting a tiny bit of chick sized grit at least a few days before they get something like fodder, they should be okay with it - and as long as it's just a small percentage of their food intake.

I did not think about fodder when mine were little - I do pretty much what dan26552 does - pretty much sprout it.

If you chop up the fodder into tiny bits it ought to be okay - I used to chop up lettuce and greens very finely and put it in cool water for a treat for the ducklings - they loved it! It was like cold lettuce and dandelion soup[​IMG]

Here is my fodder setup.

[​IMG]

5. Schmied forge

Jan 21, 2016
    I do know ducks can generally eat more then chickens, but I couldn't tell you anything else...

6. apricotvalleywf

apricotvalleywf Chillin' With My Peeps

Duckling can eat sprouts just fine. I wouldn't feed them 6-9 day old fodder though, probably 3-5 days only where the greens are still tender and not as mature.

Instead of experimenting with fodder, why not try fermenting by lacto-fermentation first?

http://www.apricotvalleywaterfowl.com/sprouts.html

7. Schmied forge

Jan 21, 2016
    How would I make my own duckling feed they can eat? I don't like feeding them processed food... or would I just need a adult duck to raise them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by