Can you feed layers broilers feed?

Youngshin

Chirping
Apr 26, 2021
I just finished my first batch of 50 broilers and about to start another 50 meat ducks. Then recently, I found someone from the egg industry selling layers that are 1 year old. So I'm planning to get some of them, something like 24, and put them on a Justin Rhodes' Chickshaw Minime.

The problem is, currently, I can not really separate the flock, and neither can I separate their feed.

I buy organic broiler feed in bulk(500kg, 1100lbs), and that costs like 22$ per 25kg bag. But if I buy layer feed separately, since I can't buy the same amount for it, I gotta pay about 35$ per 25kg bag.

So I was thinking to feed the same broiler feed to layers and offer the whole flock free choice oyster shells.

My flock will be pastured every day following Justin Rhodes' meatshaw and chickshaw designs.

Will that be okay? Do layers really need exclusive feed rather than broiler feed with the oyster shells?

Thanks in advance!

Do you have the nutrition panel for the broiler feed?
It says

>21% protein
>4.5% fat
>0.8% calcium
>1.2% phosporous
>8.0% fiber
<10% ash
>0.4% Methionine+Cysteine+MHA
MEn = 3.05Mcal/kg

with adequate vitamin/minerals/probiotics

It seems pretty straight forward composed of corn, wheat, soybean meal, soy oil and added vitamins/minerals/amino acid/probiotics.

Numbers are slightly high in a couple areas from what I see in typical grower/all flock feeds but I think it should be ok. Since your birds are being moved around to pasture access whatever they forage will probably help even out their nutritional intake.

Back
Top Bottom