Can you feed your chickens crushed tablets of 600mg Calcium and D3?

dandelion lane

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
I have a LARGE bottle of Calcium and D3 which my doctor told me to quit taking..... I hate to waste them; can I crush them and feed it to my chickens?

I have a LARGE bottle of Calcium and D3 which my doctor told me to quit taking..... I hate to waste them; can I crush them and feed it to my chickens?
I don't know about giving them to the chickens as in most cases you should never give human meds to any animals. But if you have a garden with tomatoes, peppers, cauliflower, and broccoli you can push 3 or 4 of those pills into the root area of the plants and they will love you! It helps prevent blossom end rot in tomatoes and peppers.

In the case of a hen that lays soft shell eggs and already has a supplemental calcium source that hasn't cured the problem you can give them the crushed pills. But if they don't have a problem I wouldn't give them to them as the excess calcium can harm them.

If the layer feed you give them doesn't already have crushed oyster shell , then I guess you can give it to your chickens. Or as someone else said, it also works great for gardens. just don't feed the chickens too much of it at one time, especially if you have a rooster, because too much calcium can affect his fertility.

Back
Top Bottom