Kalmbach feed - getting soft eggs

I changed from Reedy Fork Farm feed because it's tough to get. Got some Kalmbach Organic 17% Layer Crumbles Chicken Feed which they love. A couple of my good layers are dropping eggs from the perch and laying soft eggs now. The calcium is 3.5% - 4.5% listed on the bag. I put oyster shells out too but they don't really eat them. Is there something I need to add to their feed to help? I can give calcium citrate with D3, but I want to make sure they're food is giving them what they need too. I also have a rooster that eats with them, so I don't know how much they can have.

I ground up egg shells and added to their feed yesterday but I'm not sure that's going to be enough. I could do that regularly though while they're laying. Can I grind the oyster shells in a coffee grinder since they're not eating the crumbled one? I think the little rocks are too big. I will buy some flake, but for the time being I need to give them something they will eat.

They free range during the day and we give them fruit as treats along with tomatoes, kale and anything else we have in the garden.
I switched my 13 hens to Kalmbach Crumble. I got the Flockmaker when they were molting and they were approaching winter. Then I switched back as winter was coming to an end to the crumble. I chose this brand after doing research and loved that they were chicken owners and family owned.
I loved that they were an affordable quality product. I order mine through chewy and have it delivered. I had to make the switch to a crumble because my hens would not eat the pellets. They would just kick it out of their feeders. I started making my own feed, they loved it, but they were picking through it and kicking it out of their Feeder as well.
I chose the crumble because that's what they were started on as chicks. I got my first 4 hens from a local farmer as barnyard chickens at 3 weeks old. The rest of my hens were 2 And 3 days old When I got them from our local wilco. They do really great with the crumble. I give them treats everyday and I mix grit, oyster shells and grubs in with their daily Treats and I throw It in their run.
I haven't had any soft eggs since I started them on this feed and they ask lay in their hens boxes.
When they were molting and getting adjusted to their new coop that we built, I gave them electrolytes, which is what they were given when they were transitioned onto our property. They say that it helps with stress during those times that they're dealing with changes. I really haven't had any issues. I was still getting 2 to 3 eggs a day out of the thirteen hens through the winter months.
Since they have all started laying again since the winter break, the only issue I've been having, Is the thicker membranes when I boil the eggs and go to peel them. It's been a challenge to peel them without taking some of the egg with the shell. But I think I've found a remedy for that issue.

Last edited:
I switched my 13 hens to Kalmbach Crumble. I got the Flockmaker when they were molting and they were approaching winter. Then I switched back as winter was coming to an end to the crumble. I chose this brand after doing research and loved that they were chicken owners and family owned.
I loved that they were an affordable quality product. I order mine through chewy and have it delivered. I had to make the switch to a crumble because my hens would not eat the pellets. They would just kick it out of their feeders. I started making my own feed, they loved it, but they were picking through it and kicking it out of their Feeder as well.
I chose the crumble because that's what they were started on as chicks. I got my first 4 hens from a local farmer as barnyard chickens at 3 weeks old. The rest of my hens were 2 And 3 days old When I got them from our local wilco. They do really great with the crumble. I give them treats everyday and I mix grit, oyster shells and grubs in with their daily Treats and I throw It in their run.
I haven't had any soft eggs since I started them on this feed and they ask lay in their hens boxes.
When they were molting and getting adjusted to their new coop that we built, I gave them electrolytes, which is what they were given when they were transitioned onto our property. They say that it helps with stress during those times that they're dealing with changes. I really haven't had any issues. I was still getting 2 to 3 eggs a day out of the thirteen hens through the winter months.
Since they have all started laying again since the winter break, the only issue I've been having, Is the thicker membranes when I boil the eggs and go to peel them. It's been a challenge to peel them without taking some of the egg with the shell. But I think I've found a remedy for that issue.
Thanks for all the information! Mine seem to like the Kalmbach layer crumbles too. They just turned a year and they never stopped laying through the winter other than one or two missing here and there. I tried Kalmbach's new organic feed but it's a mix and they seem to pick around the bigger pieces so I went back to the crumble. I've never switched them to an all flock feed but sometimes I wonder if I should especially for the rooster. I can soak the crumbles and it ferments so we give them that in the morning (which they love) and then they have dry to nibble on throughout the day plus treats, fruit etc.

What's your remedy for the thick membrane issue? I also struggle with peeling them and losing half the egg after boiling.

I have switched to kalmbach flock raiser pellets temporarily as I have chicks that don't need the extra calcium in layer feed and buying 2 feeds makes little sense especially since they're now outside full time. I haven't had any issues with soft eggshells since switching and everything is business as usual in regards to egg laying. Once the chicks start laying I will be switching back to nutrena naturewise 21% layer pellets as that has worked well for me and it has slightly more protein and is a tad cheaper

Back
Top Bottom