Can you find the predator in this pic?

Stretch fishing line or old CDs over the run. Also those garden sparkley wind mills can help. Glad he didn't get any of your birds!
tongue.png

At the moment, the only large predator bird around here are the red tail hawks. They have never bothered our eggers or the meaties. I think we have a couple of things going in our favor. First we have a lot crows around here, which they enjoy the chicken scratch. I have seen them drive the hawks away. Second, we have 2 NHR roosters which are bigger then the hawks.

Quote:
I actually heard some crows today, for the first time in a long time... I'm kinda hoping they stick around. I will gladly throw them some feed if they chase away the hawks!

Quote:
I actually heard some crows today, for the first time in a long time... I'm kinda hoping they stick around. I will gladly throw them some feed if they chase away the hawks!

The crows also enjoy bread. It seems they move in cycles, here one day, gone the next, returning the following etc.

Quote:
http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-13.pdf

scroll down and read number 5

That's interesting. What I'm hoping is that this hawk will move along when there is no food source available. (Keeping the girls locked up for a few days.) The other hawks have moved on, and I know they are migrating south right now. I wouldn't hurt it, I'm in the city for one, and for two, I just wouldn't hurt it. (Now a raccoon is a whole other story, I would hurt one of those.)
smile.png

I was just completely shocked that this thing was a foot from my house, 3 feet from my dog, and 4 feet from me and didn't care!

I have a little dove hawk he and I are pals he comes up and shows me what he kills then sits there and eats in front of me I do not know why he is so friendly or fearless its kina neat though I have ospreys , black vultures, owls and redtails and they look like kestrels I am not sure though but I am covered in muskrats and rabbits they have plenty of prey to keep them away from my birds

Quote:
That's interesting. What I'm hoping is that this hawk will move along when there is no food source available. (Keeping the girls locked up for a few days.) The other hawks have moved on, and I know they are migrating south right now. I wouldn't hurt it, I'm in the city for one, and for two, I just wouldn't hurt it. (Now a raccoon is a whole other story, I would hurt one of those.)
smile.png

I was just completely shocked that this thing was a foot from my house, 3 feet from my dog, and 4 feet from me and didn't care!

I have a little dove hawk he and I are pals he comes up and shows me what he kills then sits there and eats in front of me I do not know why he is so friendly or fearless its kina neat though I have ospreys , black vultures, owls and redtails and they look like kestrels I am not sure though but I am covered in muskrats and rabbits they have plenty of prey to keep them away from my birds

That's cool! We have a ton of squirrels and rabbits here. A TON. This hawk still wanted a ducky dinner, but he'll have to do it over my crazy, arm waving, yelling like crazy, body.
(Thinking the whole time.. "What am I gonna do if this doesn't work? Am I gonna grab it? Noooooo.) Luckily I spooked it!

Quote:

The crows also enjoy bread. It seems they move in cycles, here one day, gone the next, returning the following etc.

I'm always throwing bread out there.. today I added corn to a bird feeder. Although I think the squirrels had that gone in like 5 seconds.

I know it sounds crazy but hanging CDs worked. So I got a little silly and put out about 30 of them all over the yard by where my chickens walk, the run, the coop door, etc. I don't even have a squirell come by LOL. something about a cd swaying in the light and wind. Awesome!

He was not deterred by my dog

Dogs don't really do that much to protect birds.

The true LGD breeds are most active at night when the birds are locked up anyway, and they sleep a lot during the day when birds are roaming around, and most predators are sleeping​

Back
Top Bottom