Can you find the predator in this pic?

Quote:
That's interesting. What I'm hoping is that this hawk will move along when there is no food source available. (Keeping the girls locked up for a few days.) The other hawks have moved on, and I know they are migrating south right now. I wouldn't hurt it, I'm in the city for one, and for two, I just wouldn't hurt it. (Now a raccoon is a whole other story, I would hurt one of those.)
smile.png

I was just completely shocked that this thing was a foot from my house, 3 feet from my dog, and 4 feet from me and didn't care!

I have a little dove hawk he and I are pals he comes up and shows me what he kills then sits there and eats in front of me I do not know why he is so friendly or fearless its kina neat though I have ospreys , black vultures, owls and redtails and they look like kestrels I am not sure though but I am covered in muskrats and rabbits they have plenty of prey to keep them away from my birds

What is a dove hawk?

Quote:
Dogs don't really do that much to protect birds.

The true LGD breeds are most active at night when the birds are locked up anyway, and they sleep a lot during the day when birds are roaming around, and most predators are sleeping

I have a lab/mix. She's amazing. I heard her barking like crazy this evening and looked out to see her standing at the fence barking at the neighbor dog on the other side of the fence. My 3 ducks were right behind the dog. It was crazy. And such a funny sight. I have such a great dog! She doesn't let anything touch her ducks. (Except the hawk, LOL!)

She doesn't let anything touch her ducks

More likely that's territorial behavior instead of actual "guardian" behavior.
It helps a little, but it's not the same thing​

Quote:
More likely that's territorial behavior instead of actual "guardian" behavior.
It helps a little, but it's not the same thing

Agreed. But it works for me! When we get, what we've coined as, "our farm" we want to get a GP or ASD. But for now we'll settle for our mutt Shiloh.
smile.png

Quote:
I have a little dove hawk he and I are pals he comes up and shows me what he kills then sits there and eats in front of me I do not know why he is so friendly or fearless its kina neat though I have ospreys , black vultures, owls and redtails and they look like kestrels I am not sure though but I am covered in muskrats and rabbits they have plenty of prey to keep them away from my birds

What is a dove hawk?

it is a raptor a really small one depends on who you are talking to the local colloquialism is either dove hawk or sparrow hawk they are slightly smaller then a raven

looks like some call them kestrels

ak_malejadult.jpg

Quote:
http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-13.pdf

scroll down and read number 5

That's interesting. What I'm hoping is that this hawk will move along when there is no food source available. (Keeping the girls locked up for a few days.) The other hawks have moved on, and I know they are migrating south right now. I wouldn't hurt it, I'm in the city for one, and for two, I just wouldn't hurt it. (Now a raccoon is a whole other story, I would hurt one of those.)
smile.png

I was just completely shocked that this thing was a foot from my house, 3 feet from my dog, and 4 feet from me and didn't care!

They are VERY brave birds. I had one fly right over my head, so close my hair moved. I could have reached up and grabbed him. He was on his way to the backyard for dinner. I ran back there waiving my rake and he flew off. What worked for me after loosing a few every year to the hawks was all kinds of hiding places I created in the yard. A big brush pile they could hide in, a truck topper, dog houses, under our deck, ect. This year we have not lost one bird to the hawks. However ya win one battle and another comes along... Next was a cat killing coyote and now a red fox..... it's always something trying to get your birds. Look into putting out bird seed to attract crows, they will chase the hawks away.

Last edited:
Quote:
What is a dove hawk?

it is a raptor a really small one depends on who you are talking to the local colloquialism is either dove hawk or sparrow hawk they are slightly smaller then a raven

looks like some call them kestrels

http://www.desertusa.com/mag06/oct/photos/ak_malejadult.jpg

OK. Local names get me. I knew kestrels were commonly called sparrow hawks and that red-tailed hawks are commonly called chicken hawks. Dove hawk was a new one for me.

Just to be on the picky side. Kestrels are actually falcons, the smallest member on the falcon family. They are also significantly smaller than a raven. Merlins are also falcons and are slightly larger larger than a kestrel.

I suppose a kestrel could take a dove but they aren't much larger than doves. One of their primary food is grasshopper.

Quote:
smile.png

They are VERY brave birds. I had one fly right over my head, so close my hair moved. I could have reached up and grabbed him. He was on his way to the backyard for dinner. I ran back there waiving my rake and he flew off. What worked for me after loosing a few every year to the hawks was all kinds of hiding places I created in the yard. A big brush pile they could hide in, a truck topper, dog houses, under our deck, ect. This year we have not lost one bird to the hawks. However ya win one battle and another comes along... Next was a cat killing coyote and now a red fox..... it's always something trying to get your birds. Look into putting out bird seed to attract crows, they will chase the hawks away.

I put some corn in the bird feeder. So I'm waiting for the crows to find it. I couldn't believe how brave it was. It's crazy.
I have alot of rose bushes out there the ducks like to go in and mulberry trees as well. Today I will move their pool under the trees. I've been meaning to do that anyway.

Back
Top Bottom