Can you force a chicken into broodiness?

Good luck whatever you do.

We have 5 breeds that are a year old. Only ONE of the black Australorps has gone broody. We’ve given her chicks 2x so far. She is currently raising the second batch. She went broody in Aug at 7 months old. We bought some chicks, put them under her in the middle of night. She did a great job. She sorta went broody in Dec, but when we put her in the brooder space (where she previously was broody and raised chicks), she became un-broody. Then, she went broody again in Feb. she was broody for about 2.5 weeks and we gave her day old chicks. Again, doing a great job. No other chickens have shown the slightest hint of broodiness. So, in our case it seems just one of our chickens is hardwired for broodiness.

Although from a fiction book, the idea of a bucket may have come from some old-wives tale. We do know that a broody chicken will look for a safe space, often darker, to brood/hatch/raise chicks. So, creating darker/draft-free/cozy nests, would be one step to encourage the behavior. Using fake eggs is another encouragement.

On BYC, under Articles, you can find info on breeds. Within these articles it indicates how likely that breed is to go broody. There are other charts on various sites that also provide this info.

I have two BO's in my flock, who are 1 year old. I have ten or eleven plastic easter eggs that are weighted in 1 nest box. I heard that you can put a hen in a nest with eggs and cover her with a bucket, while I was reading a book. Has anyone here tried this? If so, did it work? I just need to add to my flock quickly, the numbers are dwindling.:hit:(

I met an Aussie lady whose father would give their hen (who was prone to broodiness) a few drops of rum, spin her around, and poop her into the nest box. He’d stick some baby chicks under her in the night and presto! Instant family. She’d accept them and raise them as her own.

I met an Aussie lady whose father would give their hen (who was prone to broodiness) a few drops of rum, spin her around, and poop her into the nest box. He’d stick some baby chicks under her in the night and presto! Instant family. She’d accept them and raise them as her own.
Any bridges or magic beans for sell?

I have two BO's in my flock, who are 1 year old. I have ten or eleven plastic easter eggs that are weighted in 1 nest box. I heard that you can put a hen in a nest with eggs and cover her with a bucket.
I heard if you use a bucket as a nesting box you are more likely to get broody hens as the hen gets warmer in a bucket, I have a bucket as a nesting box but I have never seen any hens get broody in it

Piles of eggs seem to work here.:p
The season seems to help.
I have no idea how much the breed of chicken influences broodiness, but it does seem that some breeds are more inclined to go broody than others from what I've read.
At the moment I could do with far fewer broody hens. I just don't have the facilities for another 30 chickens.:rant

Piles of eggs seem to work here.:p
The season seems to help.
I have no idea how much the breed of chicken influences broodiness, but it does seem that some breeds are more inclined to go broody than others from what I've read.
At the moment I could do with far fewer broody hens. I just don't have the facilities for another 30 chickens.:rant
I wish you were closer - I'd offer to take a few of those broodies off your hands. I don't think I'll get any this year. I have a whole new flock, though, so maybe....

I wish you were closer - I'd offer to take a few of those broodies off your hands. I don't think I'll get any this year. I have a whole new flock, though, so maybe....
They're driving me mad!
I just finish discouraging one and then another one starts up.
I've got one pullet here who has gone broody three times in six weeks!:he

If you really want to hatch your eggs specifically, and not just buy chicks, why don't you get or make an incubator? There are lots of ways described on here to build a simple incubator for relatively cheap, or you can buy one. That's a much more reliable method than trying to get an animal to do something, I'd say.

Back
Top Bottom