Can you get a Blue Orpington from a Buff?

crystallane

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
central florida
Last summer one of my pullets went broody. I put a couple of eggs under her thinking they were from my BA and BR. Well one of the chicks was a grayish color. I was never very sure how she came out that color. I just saw a picture of a Blue Orpington pullet and she looked a lot like mine, so I was just wondering.

Picture004-1.jpg

This is the Dad. I don't have any idea what he is.

Picture003-1.jpg

ChickenWisperer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
KY
No......

I don't know how, unless she isn't a pure buff.

As far as I'm aware, there is only one way to get blue - from b/b/s.

ChickenWisperer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
KY
Quote:
That roo isn't a splash. Splashes are white or lavendar-ish with blue feathers mixed in. I could believe red bleedthrough, but I think he's too red for that, too.

Do you have any other roos on the property?

He does look like an orpington cross though.

SteveH

Songster
10 Years
Nov 10, 2009
West/Central IL
Quote:
That roo isn't a splash. Splashes are white or lavendar-ish with blue feathers mixed in. I could believe red bleedthrough, but I think he's too red for that, too.

In splash versions of a color where there is limited amount of black pattern , over say red , that's been diluted to blue ; the two blue patterned birds produce a splash where the major base color remains vibrant and the black patterning is reduced to white and blue .
ETA : I think it more likely that hen is an offspring of that roo over a Black Australorpe , and not experienced enough to state with certainty that the buff hen might be the mother . Could even be a sexlinked offspring of a barred rock and that roo . The males would have been barred with blue .

Last edited:

ChickenWisperer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
KY
Quote:

In splash versions of a color where there is limited amount of black pattern , over say red , that's been diluted to blue ; the two blue patterned birds produce a splash where the major base color remains vibrant and the black patterning is reduced to white and blue .
ETA : I think it more likely that hen is an offspring of that roo over a Black Australorpe , and not experienced enough to state with certainty that the buff hen might be the mother . Could even be a sexlinked offspring of a barred rock and that roo . The males would have been barred with blue .

Oh! Thanks. Gee, genetics are confusing!

Top Bottom