Can you get a Blue Orpington from a Buff?

crystallane

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
central florida
Last summer one of my pullets went broody. I put a couple of eggs under her thinking they were from my BA and BR. Well one of the chicks was a grayish color. I was never very sure how she came out that color. I just saw a picture of a Blue Orpington pullet and she looked a lot like mine, so I was just wondering.

Picture004-1.jpg

This is the Dad. I don't have any idea what he is.

Picture003-1.jpg

No......

I don't know how, unless she isn't a pure buff.

As far as I'm aware, there is only one way to get blue - from b/b/s.

Quote:
That roo isn't a splash. Splashes are white or lavendar-ish with blue feathers mixed in. I could believe red bleedthrough, but I think he's too red for that, too.

Do you have any other roos on the property?

He does look like an orpington cross though.

Quote:
That roo isn't a splash. Splashes are white or lavendar-ish with blue feathers mixed in. I could believe red bleedthrough, but I think he's too red for that, too.

In splash versions of a color where there is limited amount of black pattern , over say red , that's been diluted to blue ; the two blue patterned birds produce a splash where the major base color remains vibrant and the black patterning is reduced to white and blue .
ETA : I think it more likely that hen is an offspring of that roo over a Black Australorpe , and not experienced enough to state with certainty that the buff hen might be the mother . Could even be a sexlinked offspring of a barred rock and that roo . The males would have been barred with blue .

Last edited:
Quote:

In splash versions of a color where there is limited amount of black pattern , over say red , that's been diluted to blue ; the two blue patterned birds produce a splash where the major base color remains vibrant and the black patterning is reduced to white and blue .
ETA : I think it more likely that hen is an offspring of that roo over a Black Australorpe , and not experienced enough to state with certainty that the buff hen might be the mother . Could even be a sexlinked offspring of a barred rock and that roo . The males would have been barred with blue .

Oh! Thanks. Gee, genetics are confusing!

Back
Top Bottom