Can you get barring on a partridge colored hen?

fosterson

Songster
9 Years
Oct 16, 2013
Omak Flats, Okanogan County, WA
I acquired some Barred Rock mixes as rescues and was having a good look at them in the sun today.

They're not solid black and white; three of the five have distinct gold feathers on their breasts and bellies, and one of those has light brown barred feathers on her legs. The other two are so badly molted I can't tell if they're going to be the same or not.

Is this a normal 'off' color for Barred Rocks? I know these can't be completely pure Rocks...they've got grey, slate, and white legs. Not one has yellow.

I acquired some Barred Rock mixes as rescues and was having a good look at them in the sun today.

They're not solid black and white; three of the five have distinct gold feathers on their breasts and bellies, and one of those has light brown barred feathers on her legs. The other two are so badly molted I can't tell if they're going to be the same or not.

Is this a normal 'off' color for Barred Rocks? I know these can't be completely pure Rocks...they've got grey, slate, and white legs. Not one has yellow.

It is not "normal" for barred rocks, but one might expect differences such as you describe in some barred rock crosses.

Thanks. That's what I thought. They're all bulldogs of hens...They weigh as much as my big Sussex and they're literally half as tall. Lay nice big pale brown/pink eggs too. Wonder what they're crossed with.

Back
Top Bottom