Can you give Corid AND tetracycline together?

Can't tell you that without more information. One is an antibiotic, which ravages the intestines and kills good gut bacteria, which is the last thing they need if they have coccidiosis, which is what Corid treats.

Why are you using a shotgun approach? Have you posted for help with your problem here in Emergencies?

I have posted a few times and I haven't really gotten much response. I had one person respond, but they weren't sure what is going on. That was it. I'm trying to be patient, but as the days go by, I feel like I need to DO something.

She started pooping blood in the mornings only, but acted perfectly fine. (I had got them a few weeks prior and treated them with corid immediately as they had some bits of blood in their poop and one was acting funny). Just in the mornings she would poop blood but eat and drink plenty and act completely normal and active. Then the blood stopped and she started acting funny and has a hard time pooping. She strains and strains and strains and has a terrible time to poop. It is watery and whitish. Every now and again there is some solid in it. She is starting to not really eat any more. :( I'm not sure if she has impacted crop or what else it could be. She is 6 weeks old. I noticed that she eats the shavings, so I took those out. I've been giving her probiotics.

The bloody poop started about 5 days ago, which lasted 3 days (mornings only) and then the next 2 days has been no blood but having a hard time pooping.

Doesn't sound to me like she needs antibiotics. I'd give Corid at 2 teaspoons per gallon waterer (if you use the 9.6% liquid solution) for 5 days, no more than 7 days, then stop for a few days and see what she does. Not sure why she's having trouble unless her intestines are damaged and making things more difficult.

ok, I'll get more corid today then. I'm going to call the vet too. thank you!!

also, I don't think that is the amount of Corid I was using. I think I was using 2.4ml of corid per quart.

I've always used 9-10 ml/cc per gallon of water, changed daily. There are 4 qts to a gallon, so it's about the same as you did.

10 ml = 2 teaspoons

*Plastic waterer, only, of course, since you never give meds or Apple cider vinegar in metal.

Last edited:
oh ok, phew. so it is the right amount! thank goodness!!!

would you recommend treating the whole flock as a precautionary measure? We're leaving on a vacation for a week, in 10 days. Is it bad to precautionary treat? I'm a bit nervous that something is going to go wrong while I'm gone and they're all going to die./ I know, a bit dramatic... but I'm a super worry wort about leaving :)

You'd treat all the chicks that are living with that one. Older birds are usually immune, though they can get it if exposed to a type of cocci they haven't seen previously, like maybe on that isn't on your soil that someone may have walked in on their shoes from another location.

Ok, so she is finally getting some poops coming out. she is still straining, but at least there is some solidness to them. there is actually all the normal parts to the poo in it where it used to just be white watery stuff. I think this is an improvement! However, there is blood in it again. Not as much as before, but a little bit. either from straining or what? She isn't eating as much as she used to, but still eating some, and she actually looks pretty good. I did start the tetracycline and the corid yesterday morning since I had no replies on what to do and I was desperate. So, I don't know which is working. I am hesitant to stop one or the other, because what if the one I stop is the one that is working? I will continue to give her lots of probiotics in her food.

Do you think I should stop the tetracycline anyways?

Back
Top Bottom