Chickens stopped laying after Corid

Chickenlady1998

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2023
I had what I believed to be coccidiosis going on. Posted a photo to a local group and they confirmed. Afterward, I looked closer into it and read that I was suppose to do a fecal test before treatment. Too late, and I had already given Corid for 5 days. I have 16 laying hens and I am only getting 3 eggs a day now. I give them fresh water every day with electrolytes and rooster booster. They get fresh milled food from a local mill. They get free choice oyster shell and treats regularly. Does the Corid cause this? Should I be doing something else?

Edit to add: I only gave Corid for the 5 days. No vitamins. Food and Corid. I gave the dose on the back of the bottle to my entire flock. Then I began rooster booster after.

I also introduced new pullets into the flock that I raised.

No signs of mites or lice and no visible feather loss. Happy chickens other than just not laying.

Last edited:
Corid doesn't stop laying. It's just a thiamine inhibitor.
A fecal isn't necessary if your birds are exhibiting symptoms.
Have you ever wormed them?
Do you have a nutrition label for the feed?
But now is the time for summer molt, that could be the problem.

As far as I know, Corid (Amprolium) should not affect egg production.

Where are you located in the world and how old are the hens?

There's a lot of factors that affect production.
You feed a local milled feed, but what is the guaranteed analysis?
Have you checked for lice/mites?
Had a fecal float to see if worms are an issue?

Corid doesn't stop laying. It's just a thiamine inhibitor.
A fecal isn't necessary if your birds are exhibiting symptoms.
Have you ever wormed them?
Do you have a nutrition label for the feed?
But now is the time for summer molt, that could be the problem.
The hens that I got from a lady were treated for worms. I have not treated mine as I hadn’t noticed any signs. They don’t seem to be losing any feathers. The mill does have a label and I will attach.

Attachments

• IMG_4690.png
    IMG_4690.png
    458.6 KB · Views: 1
As far as I know, Corid (Amprolium) should not affect egg production.

Where are you located in the world and how old are the hens?

There's a lot of factors that affect production.
You feed a local milled feed, but what is the guaranteed analysis?
Have you checked for lice/mites?
Had a fecal float to see if worms are an issue?
I’m in Utah in the US, it’s just beginning spring weather. My hens around 18 months. I have checked for mites and lice, but don’t see anything or notice any feather loss. I have not done a test for that, but will look up how to do it. I also attached the analysis for the feed.

Attachments

• IMG_4690.png
    IMG_4690.png
    458.6 KB · Views: 1
I’m in Utah in the US, it’s just beginning spring weather. My hens around 18 months. I have checked for mites and lice, but don’t see anything or notice any feather loss. I have not done a test for that, but will look up how to do it. I also attached the analysis for the feed.
I did introduce some new chicks into the flock that were raised by me, would that cause them to stop?

To me, the feed looks good.

You introduced new chicks...perhaps that has caused some drama and stress, this can affect production.

Any chance they free range/roam and eggs are getting laid in hidden nests somewhere?

To me, the feed looks good.

You introduced new chicks...perhaps that has caused some drama and stress, this can affect production.

Any chance they free range/roam and eggs are getting laid in hidden nests somewhere?
They have an extended run off their main run, and I don’t believe so, but I’m going to sanitize their coop and run tomorrow and will go hunting around.

Back
Top Bottom