Can you graft baby chicks to mama who already has 3 or 4 day old chicks?

lilcowmama

Songster
7 Years
Apr 9, 2016
Elk Grove, CA
My Lavender Orpington has hatched out 5 fertile eggs that a friend gave to me from her chickens. Two hatched on Monday, two hatched on Tuesday and the last one hatched out today. What are the chances of grafting on a couple more chicks from the feed store to her tomorrow?

You could try it, but most of the time she will peck them to death. Your best bet would be to put them under her before she takes the others off the nest.

I have put chicks under broody hens with their own chicks,
Several times.
The best way to do it is put the chicks you want the hen to adopt under her at night time when it's dark and when she's sleepy.
Then just wait for the morning and hope she takes to them.

Good luck,
Fionn.

"They say" not likely. But, you will never know unless you try. If you really want to increase your flock size, and the chicks you will be getting are a breed you want in your flock, go for it, but realize that you may end up hand raising the new chicks. If you're not familiar with heating pad brooding, check out Blooie's article at the bottom of my signature.

I have put chicks under broody hens with their own chicks,
Several times.
The best way to do it is put the chicks you want the hen to adopt under her at night time when it's dark and when she's sleepy.
Then just wait for the morning and hope she takes to them.

Good luck,
Fionn.
If she takes them do I turn off any heat lamps or leave one on? Thanks. I have two hens that have taken store bought chicks quite well but two did die.. not sure if it was cold or something else.. I have had the heat lamp on during the day and off at night... but sense that maybe off all the time is better.. it's cold here now: 40 at night and 50 during the day..

I have a broody EE that I am hoping will accept 4 Salmon Faverolles next week when they arrive she is sitting on 4 fake eggs at the moment.

Let us know if it works in your case.

If your mama hen is keeping the lil ones warm under her i can't see why they would need a heat lamp. Chicks raised by mama hens are pretty tough cookies.

Every broody is different. Since she had babies hatch yesterday you have a better chance. I tried this with my silkies but her babies were all a few days old and she specifically went after the two new ones that looked different (color wise). You'll have a better chance if the chicks are the same color.

No heat lamp is needed. Mama will do just fine on her own.

If she takes them do I turn off any heat lamps or leave one on? Thanks. I have two hens that have taken store bought chicks quite well but two did die.. not sure if it was cold or something else.. I have had the heat lamp on during the day and off at night... but sense that maybe off all the time is better.. it's cold here now: 40 at night and 50 during the day..
I never put on a heat lamp beside the hen,
And everything was fine,
Also one piece of advice I would give is,
If the chicks the hen has are bantam then buy bantam chicks for the broody to adopt and if her chicks are LF then buy LF chicks for her to adopt.

Goodluck,
Fionn.

Thank you all, for the advice! I will try just a couple tonight and I'm prepared to hand raise with the heating pad method if it doesn't work out. I was wondering about the color thing too. I guess I'll be looking for some little black chicks!

Fionn, what is LF?

IMG_2777.PNG

We tried the bucket method first but we didn't wait long enough. It is a good way to try if you need to do it during daylight hours. Take some of her chicks and put them in a bucket or box that mama can't see inside. Let the babies mingle for a bit and tip them all out. Mama will be so happy to have her babies back that she may not notice the new ones mixed in.

Back
Top Bottom