Can you hatch thrown out eggs??

MjChickens

Songster
Jun 30, 2010
La Center, Wa
So it is time for me to de-worm my chickens, And I got to thinking can you try to hatch out those eggs instead of throwing them out? Or do you think it was a bad idea with the medication that is in them?
My chickens do not have worms but I like to quarterly de-worm. So please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance

I would have thought it would depend on what medication you use.

The idea of not eating the eggs for a variable amount of time after worming is so that the drug does not get into the human food chain. i wouldn't have thought most medications would affect the chick, but it may be best to take advice from the manufacturer,

Sandie

There's several possible outcomes if you do this.

1) nothing happens. The eggs don't develop because the medication either sterilizes the fertility or interacts in some way to prevent development.

2) They develop but they die along the way because of the medication in the egg

3) The develop and hatch, but suffer deformities because of the medication

4) They hatch and are fine- maybe even already resistant to worms!

The biggest problem with trying to incubate medicated eggs is really #3- if this were to occur, you would probably have to cull them (which isn't really fair to them). On the other hand, it's a 25% chance out of four other fairly harmless options. If you do decide to try this, please let us know the results.

im currently trying this. my hen went broody on day1/day2 of treatment for cocci and is a known egg pincher (so she had an instant nest of 14 by pinching everyone elses eggs)
seeing as i was going to throw the eggs anyhow, ive decided to let her sit them out.
will report how it goes

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the information.. these are kinda what I thought... But I have been unable to find anything about these topic. I don't think I will put them through this pain.

Back
Top Bottom