Can you have chickens and quails in Dedham MA ?

MK02026

In the Brooder
May 17, 2020
Dedham MA
I never got a straight answer. I have read that you need a certain large amount of acres in order to have chickens in Dedham but I have noticed that they do not allow chickens in Roslindale MA but I have seen maybe 5 homes few blocks apart with very small yards that I don’t even consider them as a yard so if you need permits for chickens in Dedham MA how much land space is required ??

I never got a straight answer. I have read that you need a certain large amount of acres in order to have chickens in Dedham but I have noticed that they do not allow chickens in Roslindale MA but I have seen maybe 5 homes few blocks apart with very small yards that I don’t even consider them as a yard so if you need permits for chickens in Dedham MA how much land space is required ??
@mgkboston617

Excellent question!

So I did a quickie interweb search and found the website for the Town of Dedham, MA

Quaint little township y'all got going on there I may say!

Well after perusing the website I stumbled upon a number of bureaucratic departments that your tax dollars are allocated for. The Building Inspector and Code Enforcement Officer is James Sullivan. He can be reached at

https://www.dedham-ma.gov/departments/building

Now if it were me, I'd contact Jimmy using a burner phone so that he can't trace it back to me. I have a sneaky suspicion that good ole Dedham, MASS will not pass up an opportunity to tax the living daylights out of your little chicken project.

I'd probably start the conversation with; Jimmy, A FRIEND OF MINE (WINK WINK) is thinking about raising some chickens in Dedham...then if Jimmy asks for an address I'd give him the address of that old nosey family down the road that is always being snarky about my Christmas decorations...

Or I'd move. Your choice!

Kindly keep us informed as to your progress!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom