can you hear the chick inside the egg with a stethascope?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lanietx, Jun 12, 2010.

1. lanietx

lanietx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    sulphur springs, tx
    i know it is a strange question!

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Yes, you can. [​IMG]

3. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I felt one bashing the side of the egg on day 14 when candling, too

4. funfeatheredfeet

funfeatheredfeet Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    The Beautiful Ozarks
    No kidding! I will have to borrow my daughters stethoscope. Wow! I can't wait....so glad I came to this thread. And to feel movement in an egg, toooo much!! What fun this all is!!
    Thanks for the info, Rhonda (I learn so much on this site....[​IMG]

5. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    You may be able to hear a heartbeat with one, and probably some movement a little later in development. Definitely hear it moving in the last 5-7 days.

Without a stethascope, you should be able to hear them start peeping about 2 days before they hatch- at least that's how it was for mine. It's reeeeeally quiet, especially if you're listening through a closed incubator. If you're bad like me, and you open the incubator the day before they hatch, you can hear them move without the stethascope too. But my room's a sauna (90 degrees and 65% humidity w/o AC *sob*), so opening the incubator doesn't do much to hurt them.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  6. jeb251

jeb251 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    you can usually put them up to you ear and if they are peeping, you can hear it

7. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Quote:Stethoscopes do not amplify, they only transmit sound, unless you have a special stethoscope that amplifies. So, you will very likely not hear anything that you could not hear by holding the egg up to your ear.

8. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Any one know at what day you could hear the heart beat? Also, I can borrow a doppler from work (definately amplifies) but I would have to put a special gell on the egg to use it....would this hurt the chick?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  9. Branumdragon

Branumdragon Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Alpha Centauri
    I wouldn't risk it...

10. coolmind1999

coolmind1999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    Not sure if u can hear it but at day 2-4 u can see it if u candle it cuz u see a spider with a heart beat heart is bigger then the body at that time :)
    About Doppler if it has gell I'd say no and any thing that needs a gell is an infrared that picks the pace of sound (I think u know better about a Doppler but I think it has infrared) and infrared is super damaging to the embryos development

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by