Can you help ID these chicks? please.

greengravy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 13, 2012
Hi, I have no idea what these 2 chicks are. I got them from a mixed chicks bin at the feed store. They told me they came from a hatchery & they were sexed pullets. I was able to id lots of the other chicks but not these so I took these chicks as well anyway just for the fun of it! The workers there had no idea what breed they are either. Do you think they could be cockerels & that's why? not sure.. thanks!

I asked them where the chicks came from. they said from a hatchery in texas, but didn't say the name of where. they had a whole mess of different chicks there in 4 large livestock watering troughs. I have raised a blue andalusian pullet last year but she didn't look like that chick. her blue was lighter, unless it could be a black one. As for the sex link I have two black sex links that I bought that same day from another feed store & they were black with no gold showing yet (not until they get older). maybe they are mixed breeds, or cockerels?

in case someone catches me on what I just wrote about them maybe being mixed breeds, yes I am familiar with the sex links being cross breeds. I just spoke too soon that's all. lol

Look at Ideal - they are the biggest poultry hatchery in Texas. Unfortunately they don't have pictures of chicks or actually any real birds anywhere on their website, so it's pretty useless.. but you could get an idea what they could be.

I wouldn't take the employee's knowledge to mean that the chicks are males. Most feed store employees don't know a lick about chickens (the big chain ones, anyway, and I imagine many of the smaller ones as well). One thing you could do is to send these pictures to Ideal and ask what they think the chicks are. They can at least give you a narrower ballpark for what breeds.

I think I got it now!!! The blonde one a silver sebright. And, the black one a black minorca. What do you guys think about those two guesses?
wee.gif

Definitely not a Seabright. Silvers are born yellow with heavy chipmunky grey, and Golds are born looking brownish/partridgey. They also feather out very differently from that particular chick.

Your first chick looks very blue, not black. So probably not a Minorca. I agree with the possibility of Andalusion, and also, if it came from Ideal, it might be an Iowa Blue.

Can you verify the comb types?

it is looking more and more like an andalusian. it was darker when it was younger, but does keep looking lighter & more charcoal-bluish as it gets older. I have a blue andalusian pullet right now but I didn't see the resemblance in this chick to her when she was younger. Here is a pic. of what they look like today. I still have no clue what the lighter colored chick is.

Back
Top Bottom