Can you help ID this girl?

lmphoto

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 11, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the BYC boards. I've been lurking for almost a year (and learning a lot from everyone!), and finally wanted to say hi. Hi! And I have a question.....

Can anyone identify the breed of this hen? I got her from a local breeder who raises many different breeds, and I've always gotten really gorgeous birds from him, including light brahma, buff chantecler and ameracaunas. However, I think something is fishy with this gal. He told me she was a red chantecler (I know that's not an official breed, but have heard people talking about them occasionally). However, her comb and leg color don't really match with the chantecler breed, and I haven't been able to find any good photos online of red chanteclers to compare her with. You might not be able to tell by the photos but she is fairly large (same size as my australorps) and she's a good layer of fairly large light brown eggs. Her coloring is light red, almost peach (in fact her name is "Peaches"). Very sweet and docile. I had also thought perhaps Red Star, but the color doesn't seem quite right and she seems too large for that. Maybe buff rock, but I think too red in color for that?

I'm starting to think she might just be a very pretty mutt, which would be okay too. But I thought I'd see if you all have any thoughts...

Here's Peaches:

111532_214.jpg

111532_211.jpg
(Please excuse my backside.)

Thanks everyone!

Lori

Good fluffy butt shot on the second one (there's a thread dedicated to fluffy butts! LOL) very pretty girl, I dunno what breed.
hu.gif

And welcome to BYC!

Last edited:
this is my RSL, not sure yours is one...too light, not the right body type...

68634_dsc_0244.jpg

**the wind was blowing her fluffy butt!**

68634_dsc_0230.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks JodyJo,

That's what I thought too. I have three red sex-links and they look like yours - darker red, with the white tail feathers, and smaller in size.

The mystery continues!

L.

White/pink legs say Marans or Orpington. The color is wheaten. So I'd say it's a Wheaten Marans. Do a search here or google images.

Certain it's not a sex link, though could still be a mix/mutt.

Last edited:
Egghead Jr - she does have a bit of that wheaten coloring, but her eggs are very very light brown, and she is bigger than my marans - she's closer to orp size.

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone!

Back
Top Bottom