Can you help me confirm breed?

CrazyCrttr75

Free Ranging
Apr 21, 2018
Robertson County, TN
This is Amber. To me, she is soooo big! I swear she is almost as big as my Black Australorps and they are 8 1/2 months old! She isn't as filled out as in fluffy and wide but she is as tall. She is 13 weeks old. She has LONG yellow legs and feet. Variations of reds and rust colored feathers. She has some black V's in her feathers around her neck that have been there since her feathers came in. She has black feathers on her wing feathers underneath and has a black tail. While she has been getting pink/red in the face and comb, it hasn't progressed to really darken or anything. Her comb is still quite small and she doesn't really have any wattles to speak of. She does have long feathers around the base of the tail but they are all big and rounded. So I'm pretty sure she is a pullet. I'm just not sure on specific breed. I got her out of a bin from Tractor Supply and I know they go through Hoover's Hatchery. I have looked at their website more times than I can count trying to settle on a specific breed. I'm hoping that maybe someone has experience in raising a chick that looks like this and can help. Not to put a suggestion in anyone's mind but I am leaning towards Red Ranger? If that is indeed the consensus on her breed, I have ZERO experience with meat birds. My main question would be can she be a pet and just for eggs? But I am getting ahead of myself. Here are some pics.
She's the one in the middle. Don't mind Priscilla (Buff Orp) and Elvis (Booted Bantam). I tried to get a pic of her standing so you can see the legs. The pic doesn't do justice as to how long they are. Or maybe it is just me because I've only seen short stubby ones. IDK.
IMG_4141.JPG IMG_4144.JPG
Side profile and wing and tail
IMG_4152.JPG IMG_4167.JPG
Top back view
IMG_4153.JPG

Thx so much for the help.

id say New Hampshire Red

Yeah, I thought this may be a possibility as well but her coloring is a little different, is not as light. Maybe it will change as she gets older? Idk. So I wasn't sure. But is a good suggestion. Thank you.

There are chicks on Hoover's hatchery that are labeled "fry pan special" meat birds . They look exactly like Amber.
Yeah, and I believe they are Red Rangers. Idk if other breeds are in there or not. I know it may seem like, "if you already know or are sure, why did you bother to ask?" but I'm not completely sure. I keep going back and forth on being confident or not. Thank you.

Either New Hampshire or what they call Rainbows. Red ranger is a possibility, but she doesn't look heavy enough for that type to me.

She isn't really stocky. She's just tall. Especially compared to her same aged flock mates. Ya know, I was convinced of Dixie Rainbow for the longest time in the beginning but there just isn't a whole lot out there about them. Or maybe I didn't look hard enough. I am ok with her not being a "meat bird" per se because I was worried about the health probs that they can have. Hence my question about being a pet and eggs. Thx for reminding me about Rainbows though and your suggestions.

She isn't really stocky. She's just tall. Especially compared to her same aged flock mates. Ya know, I was convinced of Dixie Rainbow for the longest time in the beginning but there just isn't a whole lot out there about them. Or maybe I didn't look hard enough. I am ok with her not being a "meat bird" per se because I was worried about the health probs that they can have. Hence my question about being a pet and eggs. Thx for reminding me about Rainbows though and your suggestions.
Yeah, that is why I think she isn't a red ranger-- those fatten up fast, especially the breast portion, which is usually huge. Looking at the photos of Hoover's New Hampshires, I see that their hens appear to be very pale, so that is why I think that breed is a possibility here. Their Raibows are dual purpose, so if it is that, you could treat her the same as your other layers. I guess only time will tell with any certainty in this case.

Back
Top Bottom