can you help me determine the sex my Pekins?

HarlessFarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
So I have 3 Pekin Babies the older one is just shy of 10 weeks old and the babies are 8 weeks old.

Me and my husband have looked and looked and looked at all the things to look for the determine sex but we really just cant tell.

Only my older baby talks alot, she chatters alot, and for this reason we are thinking she is female.

As for the other two well when they talk they sound the same but they dont even make the same noises the bigger one does.

I know they say a male will have a upward curled feather but how long does that take to come in?

One of the smaller ones is calm and could care less the slighlty bigger of the two acts like he has been scared to death of us since we got it(unless of course I am feeding him peas) and is a biter (def has not properly bonded with us but i fear its too late)

They definately all 3 have different personalities unfortunately I can not tell the two smaller ones apart unless i Interact with them. For people who have ducks who visibly look all the same how can you tell them apart easily? I know that sounds horrible its like having triplets and not knowing who is who! I'm a bad parent!

Is there someway you guys can help or maybe some different info you can give me? Thankfully they all have well pretty much Unisex names but boy if it takes to long to figure this out we gonna have some problems lol.

This is a fairly close up picture of all 3 of them but it is a couple weeks old. the smaller two are almost identical to the bigger one now , Fiesty is just slightly larger. My husband is out of town with the camera and I dont have any more recent ones right now.

welcome-byc.gif

I'll take a stab at this, now forgive me i am totally new to mallard derived ducks lol I actually mainly own Muscovy, i have understood it's the voice that gives it away first, the drake curl will follow later.

The males(drakes) have a raspy, almost not quacking voice, whereas the females(ducks) have a genuine quack. Personality? depends, those vary and don't always provide a decent guide to sorting out sex.

Their is a thread on here for Pekin owners, perhaps try there? or at least have a look through, have you tried googling on you tube for videos to hear the differences?

Their adorable! i am trying to sort my 4wk old calls right now, i understand by about week 5-6 i should hear more distinct sounds, it's like guessing lotto numbers!

Its funny I can't even remember my Pekins being that small and being so lost on who's who and who's what lol. It seems like the bigger one is a little bit older than the other too. It looks like they are starting their molt into their adult feathers so anytime now you should be able to see a drake curl if you have a drake. Going Quackers is right about voice sexing. Mine were easy to figure out who was who. One of my girls had a different bill color which made her stand out. One of my girls is smaller and more distant then my other one. So that leaves only one more girl. The girls are easy. The boys not so much they look almost the same except I watch for personality or if I'm lucky my one male stands taller than the other. Not the best ratio but they do very well and I'm looking to keep some girls out of the eggs in the incubator. If they hatch that is.

Back
Top Bottom