Help with sexing Blue Swedish

AmazingMaze

Chirping
Feb 28, 2024
hello all, I currently have two ducks that I picked up at Tractor Supply about 6 months ago. One is a Pekin and the other is a Blue Swedish. I had hoped for both to be females but at this point only the Pekin has laid eggs. I suspect the Swedish is a male. Can any of you confirm from a picture if it is a male? I'm afraid if he is I will likely have to rehome him as he is already displaying obnoxious male behavior with my chickens and I don't want anyone getting hurt. BTW, I have separated them from my flock until I can confirm or rehome. Thanks for your expertise!

IMG_2641.jpeg
IMG_2637.jpeg

Yeah, he’s a boy - you can tell from his “drake feather,” it’s the curly feather near the base of his tail. You can also tell by voice - the male will have a raspy squawk, and the female a loud quack-quack-quack.

Thanks for thinking about the safety of your chickens!

Yeah, he’s a boy - you can tell from his “drake feather,” it’s the curly feather near the base of his tail. You can also tell by voice - the male will have a raspy squawk, and the female a loud quack-quack-quack.

Thanks for thinking about the safety of your chickens!
Thanks so much! I read that but I was in denial and hoping I was wrong. Such a bummer.

The gray swedish is a drake like they said. But you can't actually see the tail profile of the second duck to give you input on.

You know one thing funny about the Swedish Blue ducks is when you talk to little kids you can say, "hey did you know there really are blue ducks?" They get a kick out of this when you tell them that. (under 12 age.)

Back
Top Bottom