Can you help me identify the breed of these that I recently lost?

I wouldn't add just one crested hen. They’re going to be a target. The others will pluck them bald. If you do want a crested, go with a crested cream legbar. They have a smaller crest, are very friendly, and lay big, blue eggs.
Here is a picture of my ugly (look at that floppy comb, and poor feather quality!) Brahma, Evie.
Behind her is a legbar. Naked necks do well in the heat too. They are excellent layers, also.
Screenshot_20220812-101840_Gallery.jpg

I wouldn't add just one crested hen. They’re going to be a target. The others will pluck them bald. If you do want a crested, go with a crested cream legbar. They have a smaller crest, are very friendly, and lay big, blue eggs.
Here is a picture of my ugly (look at that floppy comb, and poor feather quality!) Brahma, Evie.
Behind her is a legbar. Naked necks do well in the heat too. They are excellent layers, also.
View attachment 3220538
I just do NOT see ugly. Now a NN . . . eeeeeyukie!!!! Ok, lemme look again . . .

I do NOT count. But if I did, I'd probably count around 4 dozen give or take.
These two have made my prettiest chick so far. She is a naked neck, he is a dark brahma and blue easter egger mix.
20220812_090411.jpg

This is their love child.
20220723_121054.jpg

20220722_184158.jpg

If I had to stick to one breed, I'd probably pick naked necks. Although, I love brahmas, legbars, and langshan too.

I do NOT count. But if I did, I'd probably count around 4 dozen give or take.
These two have made my prettiest chick so far. She is a naked neck, he is a dark brahma and blue easter egger mix.
View attachment 3220558
This is their love child.
View attachment 3220559
View attachment 3220564
If I had to stick to one breed, I'd probably pick naked necks. Although, I love brahmas, legbars, and langshan too.
So glad I asked. Surprised and thrilled by your response. The love child is gorgeous in spite of hideous looking parent (poor baby). Hey Janie, do you/have you ever considered growing cover crops for the chickens? I am hoping to do some crimson clover and a buncha other stuff from seeds. I have been checking out True Leaf Market who has a proprietary blend.

Well, now you've given me food for though 'cause truth be told . . . . jubilee was/is on my list for 2023. Maybe not so much now. Barring further mishaps (and we know life happens) I now have three spots left here at Hip Hillbilly Acres. I was hoping on a frizzle, a Jubilee, and something with an afro (sultan, polish, silkie). Hmmm, it is hot as dickens in GA during the summer though. Mostly humid.
The brahmas actually do pretty good in the heat for their size, this is my Maribel at about a year and a half, she's about 27 months old now
1660326988365.png

@Hip Hillbilly Farm Definitely Put Speckled Sussex on your “check out for next year” list! Both should do ok in heat and are very friendly, not agressive at all, & have cool patterns! The Welsummer will also sometimes lay a dark speckled egg. 😊
Here mine is, along with my light Brahma and Welsummer pullets.
1660328221203.jpeg

1660328257954.jpeg

1660328289506.jpeg

I am sorry about your losses, but I agree they are probably Marans & Dixie. Were the Marans you ordered just a mix?

Attachments

• 1660328182999.jpeg
    1660328182999.jpeg
    711.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom