Can you help me identify these?

Home on the Stead

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Minnesota
We have some ideas as to breed, but as I sort through pictures and descriptions I get a bit more confused trying to figure it out. I'm hoping that the BYC group can nail them down for us.

We got 26 chicks from McMurray - their "Rainbow Layer" package. The chickens are now about 18 weeks. No eggs yet and three that we're sure are roosters. Two of them have crowed at us...
roll.png

Hoping you all can help us with breed and spotting the roos...

DSC03418Small.jpg

We have several of these - the one in the back is the big boy who crowed at us first...

DSC03384Small.jpg

Rooster suspect number 2...

DSC03386Small.jpg

Rooster suspect number 3...

Here are pictures of the others in no particular order. Any ideas on what they are?

DSC03389Small.jpg

DSC03391Small.jpg

DSC03394Small.jpg

DSC03398Small.jpg

DSC03399Small.jpg

DSC03401Small.jpg

DSC03402Small.jpg

DSC03403Small.jpg

DSC03404Small.jpg

DSC03405Small.jpg

DSC03408Small.jpg

DSC03420Small.jpg

and just a bunch hanging out in the corner of the run...

DSC03382Small.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!
smile.png

Looks like you have a lot of cochins to me. The brown one with the white lobe looks like a brown leghorn.
top pic looks like lt brahma and yes the one in back is a roo
second pic is def a roo too

the barred ones look like barred rocks, pullets

The 1st photo looks like light brahmas but I can't see the comb very well. Rooster suspect # 2 looks like a Rhode Island red and rooster suspect # 3 is a white cochin. You have a lot of cochins from what I can see there are partridges, blues, barred's and blacks. Colorful flock - congrats!

On a 2nd look the barred are barred rocks not cochins.

Last edited:
1. Light Brahma pair (cockerel is in the back, pullet is in the front)
2. Buff Plymouth Rock cockerel (notice yellow legs?)
3. White Cochin cockerel
4. Light Brahma pullet
5. Buff Rock pullet (again, yellow legs)
6. Blue Cochin pullet
7. Blue/Splash Andaulsian pullet
8. REALLY dark blue Cochin pullets
9. Light Brown Leghorn pullet
10. Blue Cochin pullet
11. White Cochin Pullet
12. Black Cochin Pullet
13. Silver-Laced Cochin pullet
14. Partridge Brahma or Partridge Cochin pullet (Brahma have pea comb, but can't tell from the angle of her head)
15. The color looks Cuckoo, but the legs say Barred Rock? Pullet
16. Only cockerel in the picture is the very back Buff Rock cockerel (looks like he's in the corner of the run).

Wow! Thank you for all the prompt replies!

Rodriguezpoultry - numbering the responses to the pictures we posted was very helpful. Thank you!

I'm also glad to get confirmation on our suspects. I'd hate to have culled a pullet by mistake.

We are having some friends come by tomorrow to help us process them. Having never done it, we're grateful for the help of those with experience.

Wings - The photos were pretty easy to get. For some reason they all like to have their pictures taken and come running whenever the camera comes out..
lol.png

FlyingMonkeyPoop - what do you mean by a partridge brahma project? Crossbreeding?

What I mean by partridge brahma project is that you could use her in creating partridge brahmas. I am thinking that if you were to cross her to a dark brahma rooster you would get pullets that looked like dark brahmas and cockerels that would have the basic pattern of the dark brahma but they would have some brassyness in the hackle, saddle, and wingbow. You would use one of her sons to breed back to her to get more partridge. You could then select the best male from that mating that looks most like a partridge brahma and cross it back to the mother one last time to make sure the color is there. Then once you have those chicks you could take a male from that and mate it to dark brahma hens to get better type. That would give you sexlinks, the males would be dark brahma like and the females would be partridge. Mate those females to the father and you have partridge brahmas.

There are a couple other ways to do it also but that was the first one that came to mind that you could do by using that hen.

Back
Top Bottom