Can you help me identify this hen i've inherited??

Pluckley John

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Hi,
I'm rather embarrased to say i don't know what breed this hen is...i took it in as it was bullying the other birds it was with, she seems fine now... She lays a good sized cream coloured egg if that helps. So over to you experts - i think it's a Plymouth/Barred Rock but that's more guess work than logic... :eek:)
Thanks in advance
John

LOL

where is the pic

fl.gif

I've had to load the pic as my profile foto as having trouble loading other images on the post - hope this helps...

She lays cream coloured eggs, i thought Cuckoo Maran laid dark brown eggs or is that just a myth?? Appreciate the suggestion though..

She lays cream coloured eggs, i thought Cuckoo Maran laid dark brown eggs or is that just a myth?? Appreciate the suggestion though..

Marans have been known to have diluted egg colour from improper breeding practices

but it could be a different breed or even a hybrid as it doesn't 100% resemble a Marans

but then it doesn't resemble a Barred Plymouth Rock

and its defo not a Dominique as they have pea combs

although looking at the picture not sure if that's the sun but there seems to be red in there and that suggests Hybrid

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of my Cuckoo Maran. The one on the left she is about 11 months old. The on the right, she is 2 years old. She lays a large, dark brown egg at the beginning of her laying cycle. At the end of the laying cycle, it is still fairly dark but the brown is made up of very fine dark brown speckles. She is my sweetest bird - loves to come up to you and sweetly chirp about her day.

Hope this helps.

Vickie et al
Kelso, WA.

Back
Top Bottom