Can you help me with Mango?

cockatiel

Hatching
6 Years
May 11, 2013
I got Mango for Mother's Day.
Where I got him "rescued him" they told me that he was a Frizzle who was being plucked by the other chickens.
I see on his wings feathers that he is stick like feathers.
Since I got him he has some feathers coming in.
Can I feed him something to help for growing feather, for my indoor birds they sell liquid to add to their water.
Mango get chicken vitamins in his water everyday
Can you tell me whether he is a Frizzle and you think he really got plucked, or is he a Frazzle?
I love my little guy, he is the sweetest cuddliest little chicken I have ever known.
Thank you very much for all your help,
This site is the most informative chicken website.

loulou

Poor boy! Look at his toes too! It's so nice of you to give him a happier home.

Sometimes they say to feed molting birds cat food (not dog food) to help with feather development. You could also try some game bird food or something with more protein.

I would say it's a frizzled mix. Looks clean legged.
Here is a site with lots of frizzled birds: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Friz/BRKFrizzles.html

Last edited:
I read on here that feathers are almost totally made from protein. During molt or feather recovery some feed raw rolled oats, maybe go back to a grower crumble for him.

We rescued four Isa Browns and they looked similar, barn birds in moult, but they all grew back and had shiny feathers in their own time.

Certainly looks like some form of Frizzle to me.

I reckon its a frazzle, look how curly and thin the feathers are. That said I think you could get much better feather growth that what is already there, I think that a higher protein diet would help. Maybe some scrambled or boiled eggs each day or half a tin of tuna every other day might help?

Yes, he is a frizzle, and frizzle are hard sometimes....but they are so much fun that I have to have them.....some of our frizzle Japanese hen look so bad....

Yeah looks like a Frazzle. There's not really anything you can do to get the feathers to grow back right now, have to wait until he starts molting to replace the damaged feathers. With your care the feathers will molt out nice but it is still a problem with frizzles, especially frazzles for the feathers to get damaged easily and quick so he can end up looking like that again before the annual molt.

Thank you very much everyone for your help
I bought some turkey food yesterday, I started to give him some, plus sunflower seeds.
I am on my way to cook him some hard boiled eggs, I will give him some of that, then will go on to tuna and then cat food.
Thank you very much again and Mango thanks you.

Back
Top Bottom