Is he a normal silkie or is it some variety?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
My order of black silkie hatching eggs was mixed up and I got chocolate silkie eggs instead. Only one hatched. Thing is I don't have any pictures of his parents. His crest feathers are kind of bent out, so I thought maybe a frizzle silkie when he was little. The rest of his body isn't frizzled though. His wing and tail feathers aren't silked. 3rd picture is him when he was younger.
I'm guessing he's just a lower quality silkie and not some variety?
And I'm right about him being a cockerel, yes?

Attachments

• IMG-20230623-WA0036.jpg
    IMG-20230623-WA0036.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG-20230623-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20230623-WA0014.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-20230623-WA0028.jpg
    IMG-20230623-WA0028.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230519_184741.jpg
    20230519_184741.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-20230623-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20230623-WA0006.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 19
I don't think I've ever seen a chocolate Silkie before. Beautiful. Would need age and clear photos of the comb to guess gender. I'm thinking male, but not 100% on it. He is not frizzled, just regular chocolate.
Age is 13 weeks. I can get better comb pictures in one or two days.

I’ve hatched a chick that was this color. I crossed a buff orp over a BSL and it got that color. I’m thinking it’s a dark buff.
The breeder I got the hatching eggs has chocolates. He sells chocolate silkie hatching eggs and has some older pictures of his chocolates, but the pictures are not the best quality. The egg that my silkie hatched out of had "chocolate" written on it.

My order of black silkie hatching eggs was mixed up and I got chocolate silkie eggs instead. Only one hatched. Thing is I don't have any pictures of his parents. His crest feathers are kind of bent out, so I thought maybe a frizzle silkie when he was little. The rest of his body isn't frizzled though. His wing and tail feathers aren't silked. 3rd picture is him when he was younger.

It’s a cute chocolate. Pet quality because of the hard feathers on his tail. But very nice posture.

Yes chocolate.. no, not frizzle. I do see what you're talking about though in the crest area.

Did you know that chocolate sires can be used to make sex linked offspring.. bred to non chocolate hens will throw only chocolate females and other colors at hatch would be males!

Very cute color. I’m not certain on gender cause my male that is about the same age has some pretty obvious streamer feathers coming in. The hard feathers on the tail make it difficult to be sure. Mine is considered a low quality hatchery silkie and he has some hard feathers on his wings and tail, not quite so many but he also has a single comb so I can tell he’s a male easier.

Back
Top Bottom