Would this be considered a satin silkie?

Katey802

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2023
I hatched out this little guy (or girl) a few months ago but unlike his siblings he has normal feathers instead of the typical silkie fluff. His mom is one of my black silkies and his father is this “showgirl”. I don’t have any other roosters but I don’t understand enough about genetics to comprehend how this even happened. I like him either way and he’s part of the flock but I’d like to know exactly what he would be considered. Any insight is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4530.png
    IMG_4530.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4529.png
    IMG_4529.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
Yes it’s a satin, someone with better knowledge may be able to explain it better, but essentially this would mean both parents of this bird carry a copy of the non-silkie gene, and this little one got one or both copies making it have non-silkied feathers.

Edit: I have learned this is not how this works 😂 ignore me

Last edited:
Looks like a pullet. And yes, it's a satin. Do you have any normal feathered girls?
I do, I have brahmas and leghorns but the eggs that I hatched out were silkie eggs (small and cream colored compared to the other larger white or brown)

Now that is interesting. If I've got my feather genetics down, the silkied gene is recessive. Meaning, that in order for a chick to come out with normal feathers, one of the parents needs to have normal feathering as well, since the normal feathering gene is dominant. So, if you do not have any other satins, or any bantam hens that lay creme colored eggs, it was probably a leghorn. @NatJ @MysteryChicken

Yes it’s a satin, someone with better knowledge may be able to explain it better, but essentially this would mean both parents of this bird carry a copy of the non-silkie gene, and this little one got one or both copies making it have non-silkied feathers.
Thank you!

Now that is interesting. Of I've got my feather genetics down, the silkied gene is recessive. Meaning, that in order for a chick to come out with normal feathers, one of the parents needs to have normal feathering as well, since the normal feathering gene is dominant. So, if you do not have any other satins, or any bantam hens that lay colored eggs, it was probably a leghorn. @NatJ @MysteryChicken
That would have to mean the leghorn just laid an abnormally small egg but I guess it could be a possibility!

Silkie(h/h) X Silkie(h/h) will always produce Silkie(h/h).

Silkie(h/h) X Silkie/Split(H+/h), will produce both silkied, & Silkie splits(Smooth Feathered).

Silkie(h/h), X Normal smooth feathered bird, will produce Silkie Splits(H+/h).

So one parent wasn't a Silkie in the breeding.

Back
Top Bottom