can you help me with my city ordinance?

Quote:
You mean I should stop putting my chickens on a leash and calling them seeing eye chicks? And here I thought the Wal-Mart greeters were believing me!!!!! Ouch that means no more Sunday strolls down to the Quik Stop for me and Chipotle the bull too! Man is he gonna be disappointed! He loves that soda fountain with the ice dispenser!

(c) No person shall keep or harbor any animal, livestock or poultry within the Municipality which, by frequent and habitual howling, yelping, barking or other activity creates unreasonably loud and disturbing noises of such a character, intensity and duration as to disturb the peace and quiet of the community or as to annoy, disturb or endanger the comfort, repose or health of persons occupying property in the neighborhood.

Always want to know who determines what is unreasonably loud. What is disturbing? At least this one includes dogs. But, some people are disturbed by the least little thing, so why do they get to tell everybody else how to live? Seems there's quite a prejudice against roosters/poultry, in general, in the laws, when dogs do most of the disturbing.​

There are a coupla dogs in the neighborhood that can get quite annoying; I'm glad my neighbor is cool w/our decision to get the chicks.

Now to make a final decision on the coop/run.

Quote:
You mean I should stop putting my chickens on a leash and calling them seeing eye chicks? And here I thought the Wal-Mart greeters were believing me!!!!! Ouch that means no more Sunday strolls down to the Quik Stop for me and Chipotle the bull too! Man is he gonna be disappointed! He loves that soda fountain with the ice dispenser!

Well... there are times I walk about with my Silver Lakenvelder on me shoulder and pretend I'm a PIRATE!! YAAARGH!!

Then my wife comes into the coop and tells me to knock it off.

yuckyuck.gif

"Build it and they will come"......the chickens that is!
jumpy.gif

I would build it! There is nothing in the town rules stating directly that you can't. However, I would definately double check on how close you could build your coop to a boundary line. Your current neighbors might like the idea, but if they ever sold the house and moved, what about your new neighbors. I am glad that I checked with our town bi-laws, because the coop had to be 50 feet from a boundary line but also had to be 100 feet away from an abuding dwelling (the neighbor's house). Trust me when I say, make sure that your neighbors are away from the coop as much as possible or you could run into problems. The only other suggestion I have would be to NEVER get a rooster.....it's in one of the ordinances about pesty noises.

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY!

This is the part he is concerned with correct?

(d) No person shall keep or harbor any animal, livestock or poultry in or about an animal shelter adjoining to or abutting upon any lot upon which another person resides or any street or highway, or so near thereto as to constitute a threat to the preservation of the health, safety or general welfare of the public. All places maintained for the harboring or keeping of an animal, livestock or poultry shall be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition free from rats, mice, filth, vermin, rubbish or collection of feces.

-------------

Well it says they cannot be kept in or about a shelter (meaning coop) that adjoins or abutts to a neighbor. Simple...move the coop/build the coop whatever the required footage is from the property lines.

If he thinks it is gray he is right....it is gray in his mind. It is clear in its writing, laws and ordinances that state clearly the purposes, cans and cannnots are to be read as written. The fact he was to presume to ASSUME what the lawmakers MEANT is his problem...not yours.

I would build it and ignore him. No one to complain on those sides and the other neighbor is fine with it. You are not prohibited from having the chickens if you stay within the confines of the law the way I see it.

Last edited:
from the way it reads he should be telling anyone who wants a yappy dog with a dog house no too.
the man's and idiot if the law didn't want any poultry it would say no poultry.
I would make sure the coop is well away from the neighbors property line and supply them with lots of eggs.

Quote:
Thanks masschix!

Quote:
It's so nice to have such help from all of you - I really appreciate your comments, Cetawin!

Quote:
Actually I said that to him...I don't think he was too pleased with me!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom