Can you help with breed and gender of these chickens

LindaSmith

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
Puget Sound, WA
I'm 2 months into keeping chickens and I love it but 2 losses have made it bittersweet. Both were weak when I got them and really didn't know what I was getting into with them when I got them. Anyway, the 5 I have left seems to be doing well.

The first one (black) is I believe an Easter Egger from everything I've read but the breedewr is adamand that he has only Ameraucanas and gender decisions so far is 50/50. 4 say Cockrel 4 say Pullet. (S)he had a small somewhat pea shaped comb starting to get redder. She is approximately 18 weeks old. At least double the size of the next one I will show you and they are the same age.

I am pretty sure she is an Easter Egger 16-18 weeks old but was told that he has no Easter Eggers all his birds are True Ameraucanas. Also why is she so small. She eats nearly as much as the others and is happy and healthy. Photo is her next to the black one. Very camera shy and wont stand still for a photo for anything.

The last one I really want to be a pullet because she is so friendly and my 84 year old mom is completely attached to her and her to my mom but I am thinking more and more cockrel because her comb has been red since about 6 weeks old and it is a definite pea comb since I got her. Again, was told she is a pullet (s)he is 10-12 weeks old and the same size as the one right above her so size wise is gaining on the others fast even though is 6-8 weeks younger. I also have no idea what breed she is because her colors don't follow any specific breed that I could find.

None of them are laying yet. If you can tell me why you think one way or another so I can become more educated on this myself it would be so helpful. Thanks.

Both are pullets. The black one looks to be a black Ameraucana, she has slate legs and full muff and beard! The second one looks like one of my Rainbow Rangers, which are mix breed duel purpose birds, bred to be super colorful. She may not be a Ranger but she is definitely a mix breed of some sort.

Oh and I'll bet the tan girl is close to lay. After looking at her body build again, I am pretty sure she is a Rainbow Ranger (of some sort, they have different names depending on the hatchery), they are predominately meat birds, but can be good layers.

To answer your other question, my Ameraucana is small as well compared to my other LF.

Last edited:
Both are pullets. The black one looks to be a black Ameraucana, she has slate legs and full muff and beard! The second one looks like one of my Rainbow Rangers, which are mix breed duel purpose birds, bred to be super colorful. She may not be a Ranger but she is definitely a mix breed of some sort.

I agree with both of these, assuming that the Rainbow Ranger to which TaraBellsBirds is referring is a Dixie Rainbow (also marketed as Pioneers) as opposed to a Red Ranger. Whatever name the tan pullet was marketed under, she is definitely a hybrid.

Thanks for your help on this not familiar with a Rainbow Ranger but will look it up. The photo with the tan one standing with the other birds and the bottom two photos are 2 different birds. The bottom one is young still no older than 12 weeks and the top 2 are 16-18 weeks.

Thanks again.

welcome-byc.gif

First bird could be an Ameraucana. When she starts laying, if they're blue she's a true bred bird. If they're green, she's an EE

The second bird is a young cockerel, sorry. If from a hatchery, could be a Poineer or Rainbow, whatever, or could just be a mixed breed bird. But it's a cockerel, those reddish patches on the wings spell male.

Michael they are one and the same! Funny how the hatcheries have so many names for the same hybrids, Red Star, Golden Buff.......can't tell them apart LOL!
And Donrea I haven't seen you wrong on one of these calls
bow.gif
!

Michael they are one and the same! Funny how the hatcheries have so many names for the same hybrids, Red Star, Golden Buff.......can't tell them apart LOL!
And Donrea I haven't seen you wrong on one of these calls
bow.gif
!
hugs.gif

Oh, I've been wrong, believe me. I do appreciate when folks come back and post a few months down the road, especially when it's not a clear cut answer. I'm always trying to learn!

I agree with both of these, assuming that the Rainbow Ranger to which TaraBellsBirds is referring is a Dixie Rainbow (also marketed as Pioneers) as opposed to a Red Ranger. Whatever name the tan pullet was marketed under, she is definitely a hybrid.
X2

Back
Top Bottom