Can You ID This Plant for Me, Please?

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
They grow pretty tall, lots of them in groups, have stalks of tiny white flowers on them. Roots look like parsnips, but I don't know what they are. Root has a spicy scent.

348_dscn2395.jpg

348_dscn2394.jpg

if you get no response here take it into your local home and garden store they should be able to help.. or email the pics to your local office of what we call in canada Ministry of natural resources.. they will respond at least here they will because of the threat of invasive plants lately

looks like poke weed to me, though it is paler than the poke weed ive seen. was it hard to dig up? does it have purple berries that stain when crushed?

No purple berries right now, just tiny white flowers starting up. Could be maybe too early for the berries? I do think it's probably pokeweed, by looking at some pictures. I take it the berries are poisonous?

Quote:
yes. the entire thing is poisonous. You can eat the young leaves of young shoots but they have to be steeped, drained steeped, drained again then boiled to render them safe.

here in north alabama, pokeweed is such an important source of cooked greens that we even have pokeweed festivals

I seem to recall the berries, just aren't any on the plants right now. My chickens have eaten the leaves on occasion, I know.

To answer a question I skipped over earlier, the plant is easy to pull up when smaller, but when the stalks are very thick and the plant is as tall as I am, it's almost impossible to pull out of the ground.

I remember that song "Poke Salad Annie", LOL.

Back
Top Bottom